Chapter 5 - Hate

Olivia flopped onto the small bed in the equally small hotel room she’d just checked into and looked over the room service menu.  Peering down her long nose at it, she didn’t see anything that would fill her starving stomach.  Whilst unpacking her night clothes, Olivia called Joseph.

“Hey, that’s me checked in.  How are things at your end?”

“Well, let’s see, my Dad’s getting married.”

“Beg pardon?” Olivia said, sitting up with a start.

“You heard me right.”

“So what is she?  Some kind of gold digger?”

Joseph laughed, “And what gold does my father have?”

“Good point.  I just think it’s strange…”

“I thought so to, at first.  But she’s been taking good care of him and they both seem genuinely happy.”

“How do you feel about it?”

“I wasn’t in love with the idea at first, I won’t lie.  But now that I’ve gotten to speak to her, to both of them, I’m fine with it.  I’ll finally have siblings.”

Olivia laughed, “I’ll bet you’re pleased with that.”

“Three sisters and one brother.” He laughed, “So what’s happening at your end.”

“Well, I’m just about to go get a bite to eat and then curl up for the night so I’m well rested for my flight tomorrow.”

“I’ll let you go then.  Call me if there’s any changes.”

“I will.  Good night.”

“Good night, love.”

Just as Olivia stowed her phone in her jeans pocket, there was a light knock at the door.  Olivia gazed at her ruffled clothes and did her best to flatten out the wrinkles by brushing her hands down over her clothes before answering the door.

Olivia sighed, “Can’t you take a hint?” Olivia said, exasperated at the sight of Alfie standing before her unruffled and neat.

“Evidently, not.”

“Well, what do you want?”

“I just wanted to walk you to the restaurant.” He said defensively.

“How did you even know what room I’m in?”

“I bribed the receptionist.”

“Git.” She called him, before picking up her purse and locking the door behind her.

“Am I to take that as a ‘yes’?”

“You can take it as a ‘leave me the hell alone’.”

When Olivia arrived at the restaurant, however, there was only one table available.  The restaurant was jam packed with travellers stuck in New York until the blizzard passes, waiting to get home in time for Christmas.

“Looks like you’ll have to sit with me after all.” Alfie grinned smugly.

“Don’t get so cocky, Yates.  This isn’t going to be a comfortable experience for you, least of all me.”

“Oh, come on, Daniels.  It can’t have been all bad.” He said, leading the way to the only empty table.  “You wouldn’t have stuck around for three years if it was.”

Olivia failed to retort as the waiter arrived, tidying up their table and leaving them alone with two menus and a bottle of white wine.