Chapter 2 - Stuck

“Oh, no, my flight’s been delayed.”

“So has ours.” Emma says disappointedly.

“I better call Joseph to let him know.”

“Good idea.” Rose says, pulling out her phone. “We’d better call home too, Em.”

As Olivia dials out, she looks out to the ever growing blizzard outside, the snow swirling passed the windows in a wild flurry making everything beyond it hard to see.  The wind howls loudly as Joseph answers his phone.

“Hello, sweetheart.”

“Hey, babe.”

“Is everything all right?” he asks sounding concerned.

“No, it’s really not.  There’s a bit of a blizzard in New York at the moment.  All flights have been delayed.  I might be waiting here a while.”

“Oh, that’s no good.”

“I know.  I hope it passes quickly but… I just had to let you know.”

“It’s all right sweetheart.  You’ve got plenty of time to get home.”

“I know.  But you know me… worry, worry, worry.”

“Just relax, dear.  I know it’s early, but maybe you should go get a drink with the girls.  Do something to pass the time.”

“Like what?”

“Is there a salon at the airport?”

“I don’t know.  There might be one in the hotel across the way.”

“Well, if there is, go get yourself a massage.”

“Joe, they’ve put the gate numbers up.” Olivia heard Reuben at the other end.

“Yeah, I’m coming.  Listen, sweetheart, I’d better go.”

“Okay, fly safe and let me know when you land.”

“I will and you let me know when they blizzard gives up, okay?”

“I will.  Love you.”

“I love you to, sweetheart.  Bye.”

“Bye.”

“No mopey faces.” Emma said, surprising Olivia as she stowed her phone away.  “Shots.”

“Emma, it’s not even eleven.”

“She’s got me drinking them too.” Rose called from the bar.  “Come on, I’ll get us a table.”

“Down the hatchet.” Emma said, clinking her glass with Olivia’s before necking the drink.

“Oh what the hell.  It’s not like my day can get any worse, right?”

“They’re calling you, Joe.”

“Already?”

“Yeah, you better get going.  Don’t want to miss it.”

Joseph shouldered his bag, double checking the black velvet box is still inside before he zips the bag up again.  This doesn’t go unnoticed by Reuben.

“It’s not going to sprout little legs and toddle off, you know.”

Joseph laughs, “I know.  I’m just being paranoid.  Well, thanks for everything, mate.”