twenty-two

it was the day of finals and everyone began loading the bus. mr. lee and mrs. shim rode in a car together because they were in charge of bringing the props and any other necessary things.

all the girls sat with their guardians as they fell asleep, making the entire bus ride completely silent.

"hey guys," ms. park called out to ava and jake, "there's a little café right outside the competition hall, so when we get there, do you two mind going to grab coffees for the parents, milk and juice for the girls, and donuts?"

"uh yea sure," ava replied, quickly glancing at jake to see him nodding in response.

"your total is $38.72."

ava handed her card to the café worker, but saw that jake had also done the same.

"i'll pay for it," jake said.

"no, it's okay."

"ava."

"jake."

"you can take my card," jake smiled at the lady.

the lady let out a chuckle and went with jake's card, which made ava scrunch her face.

"here's your receipt. your number is 56."

"thank you," jake smiled, taking the receipt.

he walked to a table and ava followed behind jake, taking the seat opposite of him. she folded her arms and gave him a look of hatred.

"what?" jake chuckled.

"i wanted to pay," ava whined.

"next time," jake smiled, getting up to pat her head before going to grab their order.

ava was practicing her part in the competition hallway until she heard claps.

"that was beautiful."

ava turned around to see lee eunjung, the one and only dancer ava had always looked up to. it was a dream come true to see lee eunjung up close.

"oh my gosh," ava chuckled, "thank you."

eunjung put her hand out to shake ava's and said, "i'm eunjung. and you are.."

"ava."

"oh .. are you american?"

"i'm half american and half korean," ava replied.

"ahh. well nice to meet you ava," eunjung greeted, "have you already performed?"

"i have not."

"oh .. what a bummer," eunjung sighed, "i'm just about to head back to new york for the next show and was going to ask if you wanted to be in it.."

ava's eyes widened and her lips parted.

"unless .. you're willing to miss the performance and come with me .."

"are you serious? wouldn't that jeopardize the points my girls would get?"

"i'm sure there is someone in your studio that knows your part by heart right?" eunjung asked.

ava's mind immediately thought about ms. park as she slowly nodded.

"well then what do you say?"

"ava!" rosie yelled, running to her with a smile.

ava took a deep breath and turned around.

"we're about to take a group picture. let's go!" rosie exclaimed, pulling ava by the hand.

eunjung placed a hand on ava's arm, "i'll uh- take your bags to the car first okay?"

ava nodded and looked back down at rosie.

"THE lee eunjung is being called back and she asked me to be apart of her show, rosie. and i have to be at rehearsals today," ava explained.

"and your agreeed? .. so you're just ditching us?" rosie asked.

"what am i supposed to do rosie? i've always wanted this and i've worked so hard," ava replied, "so i'm going."

ava turned around and headed out the door, but stopped once she heard rosie's voice again.

"so you really did use us didn't you?" rosie bitterly chuckled, "of course. you're just selfish."

"and you're leaving me again .." rosie mumbled, tears threatening to fall.

ava stayed silent as she looked around and saw jake walking towards them.

"good luck with the performance," ava whispered, proceeding to walk out.

"ava!" rosie called out, running after her, "don't go. please."

"ava .." jake began, "are you really going to do this again? are you really walking out on us .. again?"

ava blinked her tears away before making eye contact with jake. it already hurt to see a nine year old cry over her leaving, but seeing jake's eyes that begged her to stay hurt even more.

she almost did .. ava almost did stay.

but she didn't.

"i'm sorry," ava whispered, before getting into the car.

as the car drove away, rosie wrapped her arms around jake and cried into his lower chest.

and they didn't even get to say goodbye.