"I'm sorry I didn't do the same."

Max tangled his fingers into my hair again, stuffing my face into his chest directly over his heart. "Ellie, you have nothing to be sorry for. Don't ever tell me sorry again for your actions after I hurt you. Understood?"

I nodded.

"Now, lets go check on Annelia and finish watching Nemo." He smiled down to me brightly.

I groaned loudly. "I need blood and gore. I've been watching Scooby Doo for twenty four hours straight. I may lose it and you'll have to call the Mystery Gang."

"Ruh-Roh." Max mimicked Scooby to a T forcing a triumph of giggles to release from me.

"How does that sound exactly like Scooby?" I continued to laugh.

Max shrugged, "The kids love when I do impressions."

We cuddled on the couch, as if nothing ever happened to us, just like we used to. It felt familiar and comforting. Everything I imagined it would during our time apart. Annelia came and cuddled with us after a while forming a mosh pile on Maddox's lap. Max ran his fingers up and down my arm with a content sigh.

"What are you thinking about?" I asked him, hoping to be able to get back into that mind of his.

Max eyed me wearily, looking between Annie and I. "I always pictured this. Except with our own children."

My ovaries twisted, ready to burst.

Max held his breath reaching into his pocket carefully as to not wake Annie up. He pulled out the ring that laced his finger earlier today.

"This isn't where you tell me you're actually married is it?" I gulped as he fiddled with the shining gold in his hand.

"No." He sucked in a breath. Shakily he took my left hand, delicately placing the ring to my finger.

Time froze as I glanced between my hand and his face. An eruption of confusion and denial collided with a deep and utter sense of belonging in a tornado of worries and thoughts. My thumb bent slowly, taking in the soft metal that surrounded me in promises that remained unspoken. Promises that I yearned for from the man who had stolen my heart.

"I'm not proposing. I mean this would be a horrible proposal and this ring will probably turn your finger green." He huffed a chuckle. "I just don't need it anymore if I have you by my side."

My hand closed tightly, attempting to keep the loose band on.

"You don't have to be with me. I'm not going to pressure you into a relationship like I foolishly did before. Im not expecting you to love me or go back to what we once were. Maybe we could build from the beginning and be stronger than before. I want you to want me as much as I do you, so, If Christian makes you happy then I won't fight you on it. But god, Ellie, the moment you give me that second chance, I promise you won't ever regret it." He whispered so sincerely, I could feel the truths expel from his words.

"Can I give you an answer tomorrow?" I bit my lip. I shouldn't have to rethink things. I know what my heart, mind and soul want.

But I know better now. I know not to jump into a shallow end as soon as my toe touches the water, no matter how hot the water may be.

Max nodded softly, allowing me to rest my head on his chest. Listening to that soft heart pump to the rhythm of mine.

***
"Auntie L! Max!" Annelia jumped up and down on the couch, pushing and shoving my stiff body against Max's.

I groaned and huffed as I tried to stretch my now aching bones.

"Look who's feeling better!" Max cheerfully looked down to her.

"I feel soo much better!" She squealed, running the living room in circles.

My heavy eyes lazily opened to see her beaming at us still cuddled on the couch in the most awkward position.

"L, I'm hungry."

"I'm sleepy. Nice to meet you." I mumbled, dragging my feet to a stand and shuffling into the kitchen with Annie at my side. I picked her up and cradled her in my arms. "Good morning." I murmured to her, ruffling my nose into hers.

"Mommy called." She gleamed. "I told her Max and you were asleep."

"Oh god." I groaned, placing her softly to the ground again. "I need coffee before I handle your mother today."

Max quickly grabbed me by my hips, swinging me to his chest in a worldwind motion. The dizziness spread to my feet causing me to collide into his body with enough force to wake me up.

"You're still a grumpy pants in the morning." He smiled down to me before placing a small kiss to my cheek.

"I'll morph into a pissy pants if you keep stopping me from making coffee."