Chapter {9} A Fathers Wisdom

As all of the Moomin Valley residents were dancing, eating and celebrating the night away, the young traveller Snufkin walk slowly with the distance between him and (Y/N) becoming more painful. The rest of the Valley was quiet with only the sound of the waves crashing on the ocean rocks, owls hooting in the trees and Snufkins boots crunching up the dirt path. Snufkin stands at the top of the hill as he finally meets the edge of Moomin Valley. He slowly looks back one last time down at the landscape that was illuminated by the full moon and stars drifting across the sky.

He quickly notices the small lone cottage that (Y/N) calls home in the distance. He remembers the first time he laid eyes on her. She was the most beautiful creature he has ever seen. The way her eyes light up when she talks about her passion for freedom and her elegant disposition is why he admired her so much. It has been a few weeks since he met her but he wouldn't trade those few weeks for the world.

The lonely traveller lets out a wistful sigh.

Snufkin is used to leaving the valley whenever he starts to feel trapped or too comfortable with his life there but this time was different. He was walking slower, took the long scenic route, took a break from walking even though he wasn't tired and his conscience was shrouded with hesitation. This was a remarkably unusual type of behaviour for Snufkin and he knew it.

As he looked at the view one last time his instincts senses someone watching him and his highly sensitive nose picks up a recognisable smell of tobacco smoke drifting through the air. His guard is on high alert as he hears footsteps behind the trees of the forest. Snufkin bravely looks towards the direction of the sound until he sees a familiar figure emerges from the shadows to reveal a man wearing a moss green coat, black gloves and red wide brim hat.

"Snufkin? Is that you?"

"Papa?" Snufkin said in surprise.

"It is you, what are the odds of finding you all the way out here in the middle of the night?" The Joxter approaches his son giving him a firm handshake and pulling him for a quick hug.

Snufkin puts on a smile while talking to his father. "Indeed. What brings you back to Moomin Valley if I may ask?"

"Ah ya know, just figured I was long overdue for a visit to your mother and the Moomins." The Joxter notices Snufkin's travelling bag. "Are you leaving the valley?" He asked curiously.

"Yes but I think I might be having second thoughts" Snufkin admits but almost felt ashamed to do so. Mumriks like him and his father are known for being decisive, knowing what they want and rarely second guess themselves. Joxter could tell that there was something on Snufkin's mind.

"My camp isn't too far from here, how about we sit down and talk about it?" Joxter suggests.

Snufkin thinks for a moment before giving a nod and then quietly follows his father into the woods. The Joxter's camp was nothing like what Snufkin is used to. Not that Snufkin's camp was anything special, it just had more of the necessities. It was nothing but a small campfire surrounded by a few logs. His father did not own a tent-like his son did and instead prefers to sleep on sturdy tree branches.

The two men sit down and pull out their smoking pipes. They sit in silence for a brief moment listening to the sound of the crickets chirping in the grass and the fire crackling as they watch the tiny embers disappear into the night sky above them.

"I can tell there is something on your mind, do you want to talk about it?" His father asked not wanting to pressure him into talking about it if he doesn't want to.

Snufkin at first wasn't sure if he wanted to share information about his relationship with (Y/N) but figured it wouldn't hurt to hear his fathers advice.

"Well, there is this girl-"

"HA, I knew it!" The Joxter interrupts with amusement. "I'm not surprised my son is a hit with the young ladies like his old man" Joxter rejoiced with laughter until Snufkin silently glares at his father. "Right sorry, serious discussion" He chuckles nervously rubbing the back of his neck.

Snufkin looks annoyed as he inhales from his pipe before giving a long exhale of grey smoke. "Her name is (Y/N) and she moved to Moomin valley recently. She and I have slowly developed a friendship with each other"

"Ah Is this the girl from the aristocratic family in Willow Hills everyone has been talking about?

Snufkin nods his head. "I like being around her, I feel so comfortable when I'm with her but we come from polar opposite worlds; aren't we too different for each other?" He asked sadly.

"What makes her so different from you?" Joxter asked a little intrigue as he exhales a puff of smoke from his pipe.

"She comes from a wealthy family that can give her anything she could ever want and live comfortably for the rest of her life. She was born into a world full of expensive homes, lavish balls, wealthy potential suitors and a bright future. How can I live up to that?" Snufkin asked sadly.

Joxter could tell that there is more that Snufkin isn't telling him. She must be more than some wealthy families daughter to be able to earn the affections of his introverted son. "Tell me more about her personality. What do you like about her?"

A tender smile forms on Snufkins face as he looks into the fire thinking about her. "She is wonderful. She is considerate, kind, polite, easygoing and is so passionate about her new life in Moomin Valley. She has the most beautiful gentle smile."

"Sounds to me, you two aren't so different from each other. I would even say you are perfect for each other!" The Joxter smiles down at his son. "Listen to me. It doesn't matter where she is from or who her family is. You shouldn't doubt yourself because if you both share a strong connection with each other then that shouldn't matter."

"But Lately I have found myself feeling more attached to her than I have ever felt for anyone else in my life. Even if we could be together, I know I would sacrifice my freedom to be with her and I'm not sure if I'm ready to do that" He said taking one final puff of his pipe before putting it away into his bag.

"When I met your mother, I thought the same thing. I loved her so much but wasn't ready to settle down and be an attentive husband. Thankfully your remarkable patient mother didn't try to stop me from travelling and being free because we trusted each other".

Snufkin continues to listen intently to his father's wisdom. Joxter put his hand on his son's shoulder.

"Your freedom is not at stake when you love someone."

Snufkin was kind of surprised. He always viewed his dad as a lazy frivolous old man who didn't possess a serious bone in his entire body but turns out he has some genuinely helpful fatherly advice. The two men stay silent as Snufkin thinks deeply about what he wants and he how feels about (Y/N). He doesn't want to run away any more, he wants to see her and tell her how much he cares about her.

"Papa?"

"Yes, lad?"

"Can you do me a favour and look after my bag for the night?" Snufkin asked as he pulls the straps off his shoulders.

"Sure, but why?"

Snufkin smiles and he stands up from his spot on the log. "I'm going to go tell (Y/N) how I feel. I don't want my bag to slow me down"

Joxter looks at Snufkin with an expression that looked to be a mix of surprise and pride for the man his son has become. "Very well," He said as he takes Snufkin's bag from his hands.

Snufkin quickly readjusts his hat "I'm glad I ran into you tonight. I promise I will always remember the advice you gave me"

Even though they spent most of their lives apart, they are making a lot of progress with their relationship as father and son. They are finally forming a strong bond and are slowly starting to understand each other.

"Thank you. Now you better get going its getting late" His father smiled as trips his hat.

Snufkin smiles back and tips this hat in return before he turns around to disappear into the forest in the direction of the spring ball in Moomin valley. Snufkin runs deeper into the woods as instincts told him that this was the right decision.