Chapter {6} Walk Through the Garden

A few days went by after my incident with the poison ivy. Since then I've noticed my mind often tends to look back to that day when Snufkin kissed my hand. All-day I've been trying to ignore it and tell my self not to think too deeply about it. What was the meaning behind it? Was he doing it to be polite or was it something more? I start to feel flustered again as I was washing the dishes.

Later that day I decided I wanted to go tend to the garden before it gets too dark. Thanks to Moominmamma's advice the garden has been growing quicker than I expected and now gardening is one of my favorite parts of the day. The first thing I do as I walk out of the cottage is to go to check the mailbox. "Empty," I said sadly. Its been over a week since I've moved away from my brother Richard and his wife Genevieve in willow Hills. A few days ago I wrote him a letter telling him that I have settled into my new life in Moominvalley but I still haven't received a reply. I fear that he is mad with me for not saying goodbye when I left. I hope that isn't the case and that he is just occupied with work. 

As I watered the flowers I hummed a quiet tune and enjoying the sweet smell of roses until I could hear talking in the distance. I look over to the front of my cottage a could see my friends Moomin, Snorkmaiden, Sniff, and Little My talking amongst themselves.

"Good evening! I didn't know you were all visiting today" I said placing the watering can down on the grass.

"We are going on a stakeout!!" Little My said with excitement

"A stakeout?" I questioned. I looked to the group with confusion hoping they can fill me in on the details.

"Mr. Hemulen said that someone tried to break into his greenhouse last night," Said Moomin. "He thinks someone is trying to steal one of his rare plants"

Little My chimed into the conversation "We are going to his house tonight to catch the thief!"

"We were wondering if you want to come with us" Said Snorkmaiden

I think for a moment. Sounds kind of exciting and I have always wanted to go on an adventure.

"I'm not sure how helpful I will be but I'll happily come along" I smiled

"Yayy this is going to be so much fun" Little My Cheered

"Let's get going before it gets dark" Sniff said nervously. I don't think he is as excited as the rest of the group.

Before I knew it we were making our way to Mr. Hemulen's house. When we got there I could see Snufkin talking to Mr. Hemulen in front of the greenhouse. I didn't know Snufkin was going to be here but never the less I am quite pleased to see him. 

As our group approaches the greenhouse Mr. Hemulen looks pleased to see us.

"Thank you all for coming, I am quite certain that the thief will strike again tonight," Mr. Hemulen said with a worried expression before turning his head to look at me. "You must be (Y/N), I've heard many good things about you"

"It's nice to finally meet you Mr. Hemulen. Do you know who is trying to break into your greenhouse?" I asked

"Not a clue, it was so dark last night I wasn't able to get a good look at him but luckily I scared him off before he could steal my flowers. I'm getting so old it was impossible to catch him on my own"

Moomin give Mr. Hemulen a pat on the shoulder "Don't worry, if they come back tonight we will be there to catch him" Moomin said with confidence

"Do you know what he was trying to stell?" Snufkin asked

"Recently I found one of the rarest flowers in Moominvalley, its called the Platanthera chlorantha or its simplified name the Wild Butterfly Lily," He said as he turned to walk towards his greenhouse that sat in the middle of a beautiful garden with a large collection of flowers. "Come with me I'll show it to you," He said gesturing for the group to follow.