There's Money to be Made if Bay and Impala Play It Right

शुरू से प्रारंभ करें:

"Sounds like a plan."

"I'm thinking eventually, though, when it comes down to it, I won't be able to protect both you and Impala. At some point, there will come a day when one of you will need to take the fall. I wanted to let you know well in advance."

"It's going to be me, claramente," said Amber. "You love Ala, and she's giving you Story at a discount. How can I compete?"

"Hey, that's why I'm giving you a heads up. I'm giving you a chance to come up with something. Already I like your punctuality, and the menu items you snatch for our meals together are delicious. In order to really have you beat, Ala would probably need to provide me with the Story free of charge. And who knows, maybe you'll have something better to offer." Bay licked her lips, glanced out the window, and asked, while gazing away, "Say, didn't you have an aunt who works in admissions at magician's college?"

"Sure do. And she likes to be greased. A hundred thou up front," Amber said, fast. Leaning back in her chair, Amber put her feet up next to the empty soup bowl. "It may sound steep, but for the cost she includes a recommendation for a good bursary. With the tuition savings there, it practically pays for itself in four semesters."

That was easy.

"And what cut of that is yours?" said Bay.

"30 percent." Aha.

Bay didn't say "Aha" out loud. Her narrowed eyes said it.

"Thirty percent for me, and on top of the job security previously on the table, I want out of this arrangement."

"Arrangement? You don't like our lunches?"

"The food here's too decadent. Yanyu and I ate at Extra Leaves every day until this started. If I'm going to live forever, I'd rather eat lean and spend less on health care spells. And don't say I could be stealing meals here for free instead of shelling out on mundane veggies. I believe in old fashioned non-magical nutrition, it's worth it to eat healthy in the first place."

"Suns, I thought I twas being nice, letting you eat with me when you're serving me."

"We make this deal, I won't be serving you anymore."

"So I take it the crepe cakes aren't coming."

Amber groaned. "I'll bring them on my next break."

"So Impala is. . ."

"Probably tired of being blackmailed into socializing with you on her time off. Just like me."

Rude. Possibly also true. "I didn't call you in today to socialize. I called a meeting. To gain input on how to move forward."

Amber placed her feet back down on the floor. "It sounds like you have everything under control." She stood and picked up the platter.

Bay leaned into her seat back and bounced in it a couple of times. "Bring the crepes after hora noventa," she said. "I want another two Story sessions this aft." She opened the drawer where she kept her stash. Empty. "Stars damn it, get Impala for me. How did I run out already?"

Another sarcastic bow and a, "Yes, your majesty," and Amber turned and left. Bay bounced more in her chair. The second she was alone she got so bored. No work to do, no one to talk to. She could start her admittance essay, her application, or work out her budget, calculate how much she could undercut the offer to Amber's aunt — but she needed time to get into any of those things, and she didn't want to stop when her Story got here — except that she did want to stop the second her Story got here.

Because she wanted to take the Story.

She felt drowsy after eating, and she wanted to take the Story as soon as she got it, and there would be time later. There would be time after her two scheduled Story sessions and the crepe cakes.

There would be time, there would be time.

Where did that Story go? Tapping her fingers on the desk, with nothing better to do, she wracked her brain.

Six were left last night, she remembered. Today she had taken two so far. Couldn't possibly be out yet, and she paid a good two thousand solidae for the batch of six halfers. Four left. Had Amber robbed me? Into the drawer again, flip through pages, dip fingers around the edges, gone gone gone, Amber stole them, where else could they be? How did she do it? Thoughts racing Bay grabbed the whole drawer and turned it upside down, dumping the entire contents on her office floor.

Four spherical little pills went rolling in four different directions. One straight ahead toward the door, one left, one right, one back behind her rolling to a stop at the sheer rose hanging curtain.

Bay just barely had the discipline — and dignity — to locate all four before she locked her door and settled into her desk chair to pop one in her mouth. The pill had nothing on Yue's delightful dishes. It tasted like dust, both of chalk and of the dirt and dead skin particles on her floor.

 It tasted like dust, both of chalk and of the dirt and dead skin particles on her floor

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

Bay's Star continues. . .

Inyanga's Star and Other Constellationsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें