Doubt creases his forehead and he asks, "Are you sure?". I nod my head yes, knowing that sitting on a wooden chair for three days probably wasn't very comfortable.

"Okay, if you say so. But you can't go punching me for this later." His remark has me rolling my eyes and he chuckles softly before removing his shoes and climbing into the bed with me. I find myself leaning back on his chest as though it were natural, even though this is the first time. Sam continues to stroke my hair softly as he leans his back against the headboard of the bed. His strokes distract me from the pain I'm feeling, lulling close to going back to sleep.

"I'm sorry, V. I let you down." Sam whispers, regret lacing his voice and I whip my head up to face him.

"What are you talking I about?" I ask him, incredulous and he shakes his head in guilt.

"I should've stopped her. I shouldn't have let her knock me away like that. If I was smarter and stronger then I-"

"Stop." I tell him softly and he looks at me questioningly.

"Look at me, Sam." He meets my eyes, his shining with guilt and unshed tears.

"You didn't do anything wrong. I was too ignorant. I should've expected to get hurt. This was our first mission. We're all under experienced. It's only natural that she beat us. I mean she didn't even use her full powers and her friends didn't even have to help her. You did great, Sam. You adapted your ability and gave me confidence in mine. I wouldn't have lasted a second on my own." My voice was still no more than a croak and I could only hope he understood what I was saying.

The few tears that streamed his face let me know that he did. Using my sleeve-some, most probably Adalena, had changed me into a white long-sleeved shirt and dark pants-I wiped the tears from his face. "Thank you." He whispered before pulling me against him into a hug. My heartbeat quickened at our sudden closeness, not knowing what made us able to make all this contact today, but not hating it either.

"No, thank you Sam." I manage to whisper back before the door creaks open and Adalena walks in. Sam and I separate as she smiles at us.

"Hello Violet, good to see you awake." She says gently as she walks over to give me a check up. The door opens again, this time revealing Ev and Dilan each carrying a tray of food and Ev was also holding a large jug of water.

"Hey, I'm glad you're awake." Ev greets, smiling as Dilan and her place the trays on a nearby table. I smile back at her, grateful that none of them seemed as harmed as I was.

"Alright, let's get some more pain relief medication in you shall we?" Adalena says, as she opens the cupboard I spotted earlier, proving my earlier guess tight as she pulls out the pain relief from it. Grabbing a syringe, she disinfects it before she grabs my right arm. At the same time, Sam squeezes my left hand in support and I find myself squeezing back as Adlena finds my vein and inserts the needle. Just because I wasn't afraid of needles didn't mean that it didn't still hurt when it pricked my skin.

"Alright, I've checked you over and you seem to be healing well. No signs of any infections and the stitches on your side seem to be holding your wound closed well. Thank you for keeping us safe." She thanks me with tear-full eyes and a grateful smile on her face.

"Adalena, did you know your daughter has a powerful ability?" Sam asks the question we all probably wanting to, but were holding back. Either way, I realized, she had to know. There was no way this was going to be the end of the attacks.

Adalena sighs, rubbing her face before taking a seat in the chair Sam had previously occupied. "Yes, I know." She breathes out, guilt and shame covering her features.