Chapter 14: The place from the dream

There they were, the wind in their hair, the smell of the great salt of the sea in their nose. Tent and Abel sailing as fast as they could. The ship crashing into the waves as it passed islands. It was a mystery how Trent was able to help keep the ship secure and on course with Abel at the helm. Trent gazed out until he saw it. An opening in the mountain for water to rush in to. The canyon was big enough to let the entire ship through. Abel steered it toward the giant crack. Waves started to slow to a crawl as Abel steered the ship to enter the canyon. Abel gazed up and down the canyon walls as Trent did the same. It was a long way up the walls of the steep, rugged mountainside. The ship slowly trudged along the middle of the canyon. It was silent, quiet, cool. The breeze rolled in from outside and cooled the canyon.

"A fine opening this is," Abel said. "If this were any other situation, ye best knowing that I would set up rest right here."

"But this isn't any other situation," Trent said.

Abel turned to Trent in an effort to speak but stopped himself. He knew that he should keep his thoughts to himself, but why? What is the reason why Trent was so bent on leaving without his friend? Trent sighed and stared ahead.

"You are wondering why I want to leave my comrade...," Trent asked.

Abel gazed at Trent once more.

"It doesn't make any sense to me," Abel responded.

"We are...actually on two different paths, him and I...," Trent said. "He is looking for his father, while I am looking for someone dear to me."

"Well that's no excuse to be alone," Abel said.

"Huh?," Trent said gazing at Abel in confusion.

"When ye are by yourself, ye can only do up to your limits, but with a crew ye will have something that will feel limitless. A leaf blade told me that," Abel said.

Trent thought a moment and looked forward.

"Before...I was angry that I didn't have anyone that can guide me...but I now believe that this is my fault...I should have protected my guide," Trent said with a smile.

Abel smiled and nodded to himself as they passed into the clearing. The sun showed its light down upon the water. Trent gazed at the clearing and realized that it looked strangely familiar.

"No way...this is the place from...," Trent trailed off.

"This is where it all happened...," Abel said.

They were in a bowl with mountains on either side and two islands. Abel seemed to gaze around curiously.

"The leviathan hasn't attacked yet...," Abel said.

Trent thought for a moment and turned to Abel.

"Maybe it's waiting...," Trent said.

"Far what?" Abel asked.

"For its prey," Trent clarified.

The ship crept ever so slowly around the bowl. Abel decided to hoist anchor near one of the islands. They stopped near it and dropped anchor. The boat swayed a bit to the waves but it managed to sit still where it was. Abel came down from the helm and walked down the steps. It creaked as he came down. Trent turned to Abel.

"Why stop here?" Trent asked.

"This isn't right, mate. The water is calm and still, but not in a subtle way," Abel said. "Many a captain met have met their end in waters like this."

Trent looked to the other island.

"That island isn't supposed to be there...," Trent said.

"What ye talkin? You don't know these waters," Abel said.