Chapter 35: Home

A/N- I cannot thank you all enough for being so DAMN patient with this update. I am back at work, working 7 in the morning till 6 late afternoon monday to friday. Covid19 fuck you! ANYWAY I have more planned for this story so hold on to your peaky caps, it's going to be a wild ride so please enjoy this little filler chapter that will set up Primroses new adventure xx

"How are you feeling this afternoon?" Frances the maid asked as she entered my room.

I huffed as I sat up in bed. "Like a prisoner," I mumbled.

It had been three weeks since the fire at the factory in London. My wounds were healing well, I still had a barking cough from the smoke and such but I was recovering well, unfortunately my Father was now treating me as if I was made of glass. I was brought back to Birmingham last week and I hadn't really moved from my bed, just to go to the toilet, wash and sit in Charles' bedroom to read to him, other than that I was a prisoner in my own bed room and I hated it.

"Why don't you play your piano?" Frances Suggested.

I groaned. "I did that yesterday and the day before," I told her. 

"Your father has gone out for the day," Frances stated. "Maybe you could feed the horses?"

A smile slowly crept it's way onto my lips then I hummed. "Yes I think I will," I told her.

Frances left my room with my dirty washing then I climbed out of bed. I opened up my wardrobe pulling out my warm clothing; February was still a very cold month but thankfully we hadn't had much snow in the last few days.

I changed into a smart dress, knee high socks and boots. I tied my hair up using a ribbon then slipped on my coat and peaky cap and I headed out my bedroom door. I walked down the hallway, down the stairs and out the side door outside then I headed towards the stables.

I opened the stable doors to see my stunning white horse 'Champagne' standing very proudly with my Dad's horse stood next to her eating his hay. I picked up my saddle from the side then I opened up the small door that led to my horse, using my strength I placed my saddle onto her back then strapped it securely around her. I picked up the reins and slipped them over her head, I secured them in place and I led her outside, I stood on a few bricks so I was high enough to slip my foot in the stirrup and pull myself onto the saddle.

"Alright girl, let's go," I said softly as I gripped the reins.

I gently kicked my horse then off we went down the gravel path and out the front gates. As the wind blew against me I pulled my cap down to keep it fixed on my head, the cool air was harsh against my cheeks but it was so fresh as it filled my lungs. I couldn't contain my smile as I rode along the road, carts past me and the men would bow their heads to greet me, cars passed me by and the people inside would wave; I had missed seeing people.

Champagne road at a fast pace along the winding roads then into the city I had missed Birmingham City, her hooves clopped along the concrete road making people look at us then move out the way so we could pass. I gently pulled the rein to slow her down to a steady walk as we headed down a street I hadn't been down for a while, I looked at the lights that came from the building in front of me... The Garrison.

I carefully climbed down from my horse and hitched her to a post. I smoothed down my dress, adjusted my cap then I pushed the double doors open and who was directly in front of my eye line but aunt Polly, as soon as she saw me she spat out some of her drink in shock.

"What the bloody hell are you doing here?" Polly asked.

I walked over to her. "I missed people," I told her.