Chapter 8: What is going on?

Saturday mornings. I loved Saturday mornings because I was free, free from school, free from the big house in the middle of know where and free from Tommy for the day. Since I left school last night myself and my brother were in the care of our Aunt Polly, she was a real story teller, she used to get up to loads of trouble when she was my age. Shelby's had always been trouble!

Charlie and I were sat by the fire place playing with his trains and horses.

"Your Father tells me you've been causing a bit of trouble around the house," Polly spoke up from her arm chair.

I looked at her in the corner of my eye then continued playing. "I don't know what you're talking about," I lied.

Polly hummed quietly. "I was told you've been moving furniture around, scaring the maids and the cooks, I asked you're Father how you do it," She said with a chuckle. "That bloody dumb waiter, he thinks you enjoy riding around in those."

I sighed. "I have to make my own fun," I mumbled.

Something was bothering Tommy. We still spent time together but he seemed very distant, it was like he was constantly thinking about something such as the other day when Tommy and I went to the market, Tommy held my hand tightly the whole way round making sure I didn't go off  , I wasn't to speak to anyone or tell anyone my name, he was acting very strange.

"Your Father wants to protect you Prim," Polly told me.

I frowned. "Why does everyone keep telling me that?" I asked as I turned to Polly. "What is he protecting me from, I don't understand?"

Polly shifted in her chair. "You stay out of your Fathers business, you hear?" She asked me. "Tommy Shelby will do what it takes to protect the two of you, I suggest you smile, listen and do not go looking for trouble."

"Yes Aunt Polly," I said quietly.

The other night I went investigating. I snuck into Tommy's office looking at his paper work trying to make sense of his work but I didn't understand much, I found a debts book which had lists of people who owe money, I found a book that had all his factory workers names on and their earnings then there was a couple of loose papers with drawings, numbers, scetches and names... Something was keeping Tommy awake at night and I was desperate to find out what.

Charlie and I continued to play with his horses. Tommy had brought a toy horse which looked a lot like his big black race horse which Charlie loved; The other morning Curly came over and let me sit on the back of one of the horses as he walked the horse back to it's stable. Every morning Tommy would take Charlie and I to the stables to let hte horses out and as always Charlie would splash me with water from the bucket because Tommy did it to me once and now Charlie thinks it's funny.

*KNOCK**KNOCK*

"Who could that be?" Aunt Polly asked as she got out of her chair.

I watched Polly as she walked out the room to the door, she opened the door then sighed softly.

"And what can I do for you young man?" Polly asked.

"Hello Mrs Grey, Is Prim here?" A familiar voice asked.

I jumped on to my feet and ran to the door, I jumped into Daniels arms hugging him tightly. "Hi Daniel," I greet as I pulled away.

"Can she come out to play Mrs Grey?" Danile asked. "I'll take good care of her."

I smiled brightly at Polly. "Please?" I begged sweetly.

Polly could help but smile. "Go on but remember what I told you Primrose!" She told me.