Chapter 14

I know I'm late. I'm sooo sorry! The song is just there because I think it fits what Imp thinks of Red. You can imagine it as the song Red plays if you want.
**********************************

Imp's POV

We were driving back home in rather awkward silence. Neither of us knew what to say after the L-word entered the chat last night. I wasn't embarrassed it was more the fact that it was a thing now. Like Red needed a while to fully understand the cheesy shit I just said.

I look at Red to see him looking out the window desperately trying to avoid eye contact. I get it but it hurt a little. I decided that maybe I could get rid of the awkward silence by talking to him.

"So...that car chase was nerve-wracking huh?" I say. It probably wasn't the best topic to start a conversation on but at least it's not as quiet.

"Uh yeah..." He says trailing off.

I don't know what he wants me to tell him. It's not like I can say 'Hey I know I just confessed my love for you but let's ignore that and continue like we were.'. That would be an asshole move.

Red's POV

I feel bad. I do like Imp and I want to have a normal conversation with him. But my awkward nature is getting in the way. Curse my bad social skills!

I can tell he wants to talk about it. And I can tell you that I don't.

It feels so odd. He's my best friend it's so out of the ordinary for me to not feel like I can talk to him.

I put on some music. I know it will get rid of the silence from both of us. Since we both love singing. Well, Imp does and I want nothing more than to be forever hiding my singing abilities from the world. Though Imp always tries to get me to sing in front of other people. I never seem to be able to get the confidence to do so.

As we both softly sing the words my mind drifts off to a fond memory from a little bit over a week ago.

*flashback*

I can't believe I'm doing this. I was currently sitting in line to get the new phone that just came out. It wasn't for me. It was for Imp. He really wants this phone but he has football practice. He says that by the time he got there it'd be sold out. So he gave me the money to get it. And basically begged me to wait in line.

So here I was getting severe back pain from sitting on the concrete and leaning against the brick wall outside of the shop.

'I swear he owes me big time for this' I think angrily. I wasn't actually mad, I could never stay mad at Imp for long.

Finally, I got inside the store. I let out a sigh of relief even though I knew I still would be waiting a long time, and it sucked. I look around at the decently decorated room. The tables and shelves were filled with phones and other electronics, but the walls were lined with art. I look at it each line seemingly made with perfection.

After an hour and a half or so, I made it to the second spot in line. I secretly eavesdrop on the conversation going on in front of me.

"What do you mean it's not enough, " The man in front of me screams. "My daughter and I didn't wait this long for just to leave!"

I look down at the 16-year old that I assumed was his daughter. She seems embarrassed about her father's behavior. I would be too. She glances back at me giving an 'I'm sorry' look. I give her my best sympathetic smile.

She slides next to me while her dad continues screaming at the obviously uncomfortable and uncertain employees.

"Hey I'm Dusk." She says reaching her hand out to shake.

I flinch but shake her hand nonetheless.

"I'm Red."

"Red? That's an odd name." She says. Not in a rude way but more in curiosity.

"It's a nickname." I say. She nods in understanding.

After a few minutes of chatting, we realize that her dad finally gave up negotiating and just paid full price. She waves goodbye but not before making us share numbers.

I bought the phone and headed back to Imps house. I walked in and yelled for him. I look in the kitchen and see his mom making cookies. I wave at her and she waves back trying not to giggle. I look all over me to see what she giggling about. I don't see anything then I look back over at her and she motions for me to go up the stairs.

I walk up slowly wondering what's happening. I get to the door of his room and see a note on it.

'Dear Red,

I hope you read this because if you don't I just wasted a day and a half. But anyway go to the park to find the next note-'

Ugh, I have to go outside.

'and I know you don't wanna go outside. But you better haul your ass down here asap!

-Imp'

I roll my eyes then head back down the stairs. Looking over and seeing Imps mom still giggling.

I walk out the door and head to the park letting my thoughts consume me.

After a while, I made it and continued walking looking for Imp. Instead, I found a note stapled to a tree.

'Meet me at the spot near the lake'

Following his instructions, I walked down to the lake. I see Imp sitting there on a blanket. He looks up at me and pats the spot next to him. I walk over and plop down. I don't know why we were at the park the sun is setting.

I attempt to give him his phone.

"Nah keep it. It's yours." He says genuinely surprising me.

"Wh-what?"

"You heard me. Keep it." He says eyes fixed on the sky.

I look up and see the sky starting to go dark.

"Its getting dark." I say knowing that he already noticed. He lays down still looking at the sky.

"I know." He says like it's not a big deal. It's isn't but still.

"Aren't we gonna head back?" I say as the sky gets increasingly darker.

"Nope." He says. Randomly he grabs my arm and pulls me down so I'm facing the sky with my head laying on his chest.

I roll my eyes about to grumble in protest then he pointed at the sky. I look up and see stars popping up in the sky. I stare in amazement at the beautiful scenery.

"Wow." I breathed out earning a chuckle from Imp. I could tell he had some stupid goofy grin on his face.

*flashback end*

We spent hours out there. So long that Imp's mom called thinking we got kidnapped. It wasn't much but it meant a lot to me.

I look at Imp. I smile gently before grabbing his hand and gently running my thumb over his knuckles.

I think the awkward feeling washed away after that.

*********************************
1221 words

I put so much effort into this book and no one reads it. And that's kinda sad.
Byeeeeeeeeee
~Rnae