Chapter 5

Dinner went by in a blur, but there was no Misty. Cordelia felt horrified at what she had done and didn't speak to anyone throughout the whole meal. Once it was over, Cordelia tried to do some work, but she couldn't focus, not without settling whatever had happened between the two witches in the greenhouse. Cordelia decided she couldn't work anymore and she thought about where Misty might be. She tried the greenhouse, nothing, and her bedroom was empty too. Of course, the swamp, Cordelia transmuted herself there at once. Cordelia knocked on the door softly, when there was no answer, she called "Misty?". She heard a noise inside and waited patiently.

Misty woke up from her nap with a start. She had heard someone call her name, but it might have been in the dream because it sounded like Cordelia. She got up anyway and walked groggily towards the door. When she opened it her heart sank. Of course, Cordelia had come and seen her, of course, she cared, but she wouldn't once she found out. She had probably come to tell Misty she didn't like her the same way she did. Misty stepped aside, inviting Cordelia in but not looking at her. Once Cordelia had entered the shack she burst into speech, "Oh god I'm sorry, I didn't mean to kiss you like that, it was highly inappropriate, I should have controlled my feelings, and I was worried about you and..." she continued to spert apologies, Misty waited for her ramblings to end, taking it all in. Cordelia was sorry? She wasn't the one who had had a crush on her teacher. She wasn't the one who cut herself, she wasn't the one who had run away like a coward. Cordelia was worried? Well, she wouldn't be if she found out. It took Misty a second to realize that Cordelia had finished speaking and was looking at her expectantly. "You're sorry? I have been wanting to do that for ages." was all Misty could manage. Cordelia looked stunned, "you have? Um, then why did you stop?". Misty considered this question for a minute, she had no idea how to answer, she couldn't tell her could she? "Misty?" Cordelia prompted after another minute, then she took Misty's hand and brought her to sit on the bed. "What's wrong sweetie?" Misty looked up into Cordelia's beautiful brown eyes, and her own blue ones filled with tears. She started sobbing, she felt she could at least do this, she felt safe with Cordelia. The supreme hugged her deeply, rubbing her back and letting her ride it out. Cordelia's mind spun, of course, Misty wasn't alright, she had spent a year in her own personal hell, she couldn't be alright, she shouldn't and Cordelia had barely even asked. Cordelia had been so selfish. Once Misty fell silent she broke the hug and looked up again at Cordelia, "I can't escape Miss Cordelia, every time I fall asleep I go back, back to hell, and back to the stake" Her voice shook. Cordelia's heart broke. How could she not have realized? She looked Misty up and down and noticed some blood soaking through her dress. "Hey what's this?" She moved to touch the wound but Misty sharply pulled away. "Don't worry about it, Miss Cordelia". "Misty? It's okay let me help you, I can heal it, don't worry". But Misty was worried, she was so worried that she would drive Cordelia away. Misty took a deep breath, it was too late now, "Promise me you'll never leave me". Cordelia responded right away "Of course, I wouldn't dream of it". Misty brought her legs back to Cordelia, and the Supreme slowly lifted up her dress and her heart shattered. "Did you do this to yourself?" Cordelia asked as calmly as she could, but she already knew the answer. Misty nodded, not looking at her. "Why?" Cordelia choked out on the verge of tears, she knew she shouldn't cry, she couldn't. Misty resignedly started "My whole life I never had no one, I didn't have any friends, and my parents didn't want me because I fancied girls, and then they burned me at the stake for being a witch. The only thing there for me was the blade, my whole life." Cordelia put her hand on Misty's chin and brought her eyes to meet her own. "Now you have me, you will always have me, sweet girl. You are the most wonderful carefree soul I have ever had the fortune to meet. Please promise me you won't ever do this again, please." Misty could hear the plea in her voice and nodded, she wasn't gone, she was still here, that's all that mattered.

Cordelia transmuted them back to the Manor, and they walked into the greenhouse. Cordelia sat Misty down and gathered some herbs. "What are those for?" asked Misty. "They're for your thighs, some of those cuts are pretty deep" Cordelia said in a decidedly even tone. "Oh right". She didn't care about her legs, Cordelia was helping her, maybe now she could finally heal, and finally be herself. Once her open wounds were healed, the two witches walked up in silence to the second floor. Misty hesitated at the top of the stairs, "Can I sleep with you tonight?" She asked Cordelia tentatively. "Of course you can" Cordelia responded with a somewhat sad smile. "Why don't you go and get changed for bed and meet me in a few minutes." Misty nodded and dashed off to her room.

Cordelia's head was still spinning, trying to comprehend what she had just discovered. She really had let Misty down, how could she not have asked, and she had allowed her desire to take over, she had really messed up. She was on the verge of falling apart again, but she could control it now, she knew Misty needed her, as much as she needed Misty.

Once Cordelia was dressed for bed, she waited expectantly in her bed for the soft knock. "Come on in sweetie" The supreme called this time. The door opened and Misty came in and laid down next to Cordelia. The supreme turned off the light and turned over to face Misty, "I just wanted to say, that I will always be there for you, you are genuinely the best person I have ever met, you are the light in all the darkness that is my life, and I am here". This was exactly what Misty had been waiting for her whole life. Misty leaned forward and softly kissed Cordelia. Cordelia kissed her back passionately. The kiss was like a breath of fresh air for both of them, and neither of them ever wanted to stop.