CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

Start from the beginning

   Yoshiro and I dived into the water again and I healed our wounds before we started sinking more ships. We were tired as the sun was setting, we made it back to the palace.

   "I can't do it." Aang said as we got off of Appa.

   "What happened?" Katara asked coming over with Yue.

   "We must have taken out over a dozen Fire Nation ships but there's just too many of them." Aang replied.

   "Aang, It's not your fault" Yoshiro said and looked at me. "No one can take out that many ships. It's impossible.... The Fire Nation came prepared."

   "But he has too! He's the Avatar." Yue said.

   "Yue, Aang's a kid." I pat the boy's back before standing up. "How's Sokka, doing?"

   "He's doing fine." Katara replied and that eased my anxiety for my brother.

   I walked away and Yoshiro followed behind me. "Hey, Kaida." He stopped me and I looked up at him. "I will have to leave with the warriors tonight."
   He grabbed my face lightly and I avoided looking into his grey eyes. "I might not make it back."

   "Don't say that." I told him but he smiled. "Yoshiro, I'm serious, I can't lose another one to the Fire Nation." For once I had told someone about my mother, I told him what happened to her and the way he looked at me, told me that he thought I would feel the same way about him.
I would blame myself.
   "Look I have trust issues and for once some guy actually got me to smile and I don't feel scared, I'm always scared but with you it disappears!" I noticed how fast I was speaking on the single panicked breath. My eyes stinging as I tried to hold back the overwhelming tears.
   He pulled me into a hug. "Please, don't say those words." I whispered.

   "Kaida, I love your smile. It's such a treasure." He said holding my chin. "Smile every once in a while for me, alright? I know how hard it can be but I'll always be here."

   I nodded my heart wrenching and my throat hurting, holding back from crying. He hugged me tightly, I took it in remembering the little memories we made together and it was safe to say those would be added to my favorite memories of the Northern Tribe.
   Yoshiro pulled away but I pulled him back quickly grabbing his face and kissing him, tears streaming down my face and all. It was a rough longing kiss, a kiss full of passion and love.
It sent a shiver down my spine and made the hairs on the back of my neck stand. He kissed me back, pulling me closer not wanting to let go, but then he slightly let go and pulled away before placing his lips gently on mine.

   "I love you too." I whispered our lips brushing against each other and I truly did, I loved him as stupid as it sounds even at how little time we had together. Even-so I had to do something to stop him.
"Yoshiro, don't go." I whispered then looked at him, I don't care about a stupid fortune teller, I could change it right? "If you go you'll die!"

   "What?" He looked at me confused.

   "I went to a fortune teller and she said that my heart would be broken by my first love!" I quickly spoke. "You aren't hurting me right now so that can only mean one thing... I don't want that to happen." My voice breaking at the end.

   "I can't promise it won't." Yoshiro said then sighed. "Kaida, tomorrow night the moon will be at it's fullest. I just want you to know I have a destiny to do something and I won't be back."

   Frustration filled my body as those words fell from his lips. "So you knew and you let me fall in love with you?"

   He sadly chuckled. "I'm selfish, but I'm glad I got to feel a type of love that I was afraid I would never get to experience." He placed a kiss on the back of my hand. "Kaida, I love you. But I have to fight for my people. It's my duty."

   "If... if you leave I'll hate you!" The sad smile fell off his face as my vision grew blury. "I won't care if you do come back alive! I'll hate you until I die!"

   "I'm sorry." He said his eyes shifted to the ground before he walked away. He stopped and came back. "You don't mean that."

   "N..no." I muttered glancing away and wrapping him into hug. His lips peppered my entire face before landing on my lips. "I love you."

   "I love you too." I said and watched him leave.

   What did I do to deserve this?

————————
Edited; 10/29/20
Re-Edited; 7/9/21