Lord, Adam had been in love with her. As much in love as a thirteen-year-old boy was capable of. A tight pain, like the feeling of a needle prick, began to startle his chest as such a specific, happy memory came to the forefront of his brain.

His head turned towards his window, and Adam found himself walking over to look out at the view. While he could only see the Ashwood gardens, the village was out there, not at all far by carriage. Was she there? Did she remember him? Could she see him in her memories just as clearly as he could see her?

Was she married?

Adam couldn't even comprehend the thought, let alone entertain it. He wouldn't allow himself to. It had been too many years ...

Before he knew it, Adam was opening his other trunk, the one filled with his clothing, his books, his stationery, and his letters. They had made a promise once, one of a few on that day, Adam thought bitterly, but one of them had been to write to each other, and Grace had kept that promise for a while.

She had written to him for a year. And eleven years after the fact, Adam had never been able to part with her letters. She had used different terms of endearment to address him each time she wrote, and all the way at school, knowing that Grace thought of him as her darling, or her sweetheart, it had helped to ease the loneliness he felt in being so far from her.

She wrote him diligently until her last letter had arrived. Why he wanted to subject himself to her words again, Adam had no idea, but he couldn't help himself as he opened the letter. The minute his eyes fell on the single name Adam, he felt like he was fourteen again, experiencing heartbreak for the very first time.

He wasn't her darling or her sweetheart anymore. It was just Adam.

Adam,

I am sorry to have to write this in a letter, but I must.

I don't want to write to you anymore. I am tired of it and I have realised how silly I have been this whole year. I have wasted my summer writing to you instead of spending time with people who are here and that seems ridiculous. You have your own life, and I am going to start mine without having an obligation to you.

I enjoyed being your friend when we were children, but it is time to grow up. You have your entire life ahead of you, and I no longer want to be in any part of it.

This will be my last letter. Please do not write to me again. I will not open it, nor answer it. I am moving on from you, and I suggest you do the same.

Grace

To say that Adam had been devastated had been an understatement. He had not expected such a letter from Grace, such a complete change in what their plans had been. Adam had been completely serious in his promise. He had fully intended to finish his education and return for her. He would have written her faithfully for years, for as long as it took to come back for her.

But his attachment had clearly been deeper than hers, and Adam had long resigned himself to that fact. He had spent a long time with a broken heart, and a long time learning to be alright, and to grow up just as she had told him to.

Adam had grown up. He had completed his education and had entered into society seamlessly, as any heir to one of the richest titles in Britain would. That part was his mother's forte, as was her engineering the eventual engagement between himself and Lady Sarah Ashley.

Adam was twenty-five now, and these matters were not supposed romantic.

"Adam, I am writing to Lady Ashley. Would you like me to enclose a note for Lady Sarah?" Cecily had appeared at Adam's door, and her eyes fell on his state disapprovingly. "What on earth are you doing? Ring the bell for a servant, Adam, honestly." She shook her head.