The soreness of my wings was ever-present as I swooped down to the ground, catching the air in their folds. Pointing the tips of them downwards so that they almost dragged on the dirt kept me low, travelling fast. I kept my head straight, not daring to look away from the tent for fear that I might not have the nerve to go in after all. Everything seemed to get bigger the closer I got... I had landed silently at the foot of the huge structure before I was ready.

It was shameful, but for a second... as I stood there, staring up at the dark green fabrics, the sharp-toothed zipper taunting me... I hesitated to enter. No matter how I pressed the spear to my chest, it wouldn't make my heart slow down. My family was in there and yet still, still...
I was afraid. Scared of the monster inside.
I chewed my lip for a second, painfully aware that Mike was outside with me. There  wasn't time to hesitate, that had got me discovered by him once before, and that was something I certainly didn't want to repeat... so I shut my eyes tight like it would make me forget where I was going, and wobbled forwards. Slipping through a small gap between the floor and the zipper wasn't hard.
Then I was inside the tent.

The second I opened my eyes to those walls, my heart plunged. I was really back in here.
Daring a glance in front of me, the familiar scene unfolded. Directly ahead, a white table leg. Plastic. I wouldn't allow my eyes to venture anymore to the left— I knew what I would see. I could already see his foot in my peripherals. Him.

I streaked across the slippery floor, Rosin's weapon still hugged to my chest. My mind was racing. I was inside, but now what?
Glass clinked atop the table and the mere sound sent a chill up my back. What in the blazes are you doing back here, Azure? I reached the opposite end of the tent and stumbled behind a table leg. My chest puffed in and out despite how I scolded myself to be calmer. I knew this environment now, I could use what was around me to my advantage. Not that there seemed to be much that would be of use...
Figure it out, Rosin's spear weighed heavy on my nerves, there are people relying on you.
I just needed to remain calm...

"Get away from us!" The voice rang out. My wings smacked the table leg as I jolted.
I would recognise her anywhere. I stared up the table leg, not able to see what was going on above me. Rosin. Nobody else would dare shout at Sam.

Without thinking, I stabbed the spear into the side of the tent and heaved myself upwards, then wrapped my hand around the slippery table leg. I began to climb.
Using my wings was too great a risk; I wasn't about to bet this rescue on the chance of Sam not noticing me suddenly go soaring through the air. Not to mention that they were still stinging.

Soft, rumbling laughter filled the tent only seconds after I had began to scale the table. I had to pause for fear of losing my grip. Suddenly my arms were weak as water.
"You think that it's funny?!" Rosin's voice cried out again.
Rosin, what are you-
I blocked the voices out, trying to focus on my climb, but I knew that laugh. Trying to ignore it was easier said than done. Shoving away the gut-twisting fear he kicked up inside me was something I didn't think I was able to do.

Scrambling up the side of the tent was harder than I had anticipated, but despite my slipping and fumbling, I eventually managed to claw my way to the top. I was breathing heavily when I slung one arm onto the smooth tabletop, but I tried to keep any noises low. With a soft grunt, I kicked off the leg and rolled onto the corner of the table.

A bag with two sagging shoulder straps had been propped up against the tent wall, sitting only a few centimetres away from me. That'll do. I zipped towards the huge carrier and slid underneath it. The shadow blanketed me and I gratefully sunk into the cover. Alright... I was up and hidden, but what next?
With a stomach full of butterflies, I looked across the table.