Prologue

Prologue

                I take a deep breath and look down towards the bottom of the gully, which is littered with rocks and has a small stream running down the middle of it. I teeter on the edge of the steep cliff and smile. I know that freedom awaits me when I jump. I close my eyes and dive headfirst off the ledge. I feel the wind rushing through my hair and the adrenaline pumping through my veins. The distance between the ledge and the ground is a two thousand foot drop, I measured it. For any human, taking the jump would mean instant death when they hit the bottom. But for me, this is just a little fun. The wind whistles in my ears and I feel myself rapidly picking up speed. I open my eyes to see the ground getting closer. The little stream in the gulley is now a rushing river and the jagged rocks are massive boulders. Just as I am about 6 feet away from slamming into the river, I let out a shriek, squeeze my eyes shut, and unfold my wings. My feet swing down below me as I hover for a moment above the water, and I let out a triumphant scream. I’ve done this multiple times now, always determined to perfect it after the accident. The first time I had attempted a dive in this same spot four years ago, I had miscalculated and ended up with a gash on the side of my face. Life has never been quite the same since…