Chapter 1: Trek

I held my head low as we walked on the train tracks. I followed Rick's shadow as Glen, Bob, Maggie, Daryl, Rick, and I proceeded down the train tracks that seemed endless. A machete with a black handle and a silver blade with a tint of red from blood hung at my side held by a black strap that went around my shoulder.

        A white sign soon came in sight after a turn around a small rock out cropping. As we approached the sign we could make out faint letters and lines, it was a map. In large, bold letters Terminus was written next to a black star. Rick studied the map. "What does it mean?" Daryl asked in a normal toned voice. He knew that's what we were all thinking, but he also knew that now one was going to ask either.

        "I don't know." Rick said.

       "Should we go?" I asked, not sure how Rick was going to respond. "The others may have gone, I think we should." I said as I unzipped Bob's backpack to get a small sip of water.

        "Yeah, you think that black car is there, the one that took Beth?" Daryl said sarcastically but in an aggressive voice.

        I understood Daryl's pain and I truly felt bad for him. Although Daryl never would admit it, everyone knew that he saw Beth as a ray of hope in this horrific place we call Earth. I've heard Daryl telling Rick the story over and over again. Rick always tried to make Daryl laugh or something but it never seemed to work.

        "Let's go." Bob added after I finished taking swigs of water and zipped the brown backpack up.

        "Alright" Rick finally said.

        We continued to walk down the red train tracks passing signs that read," All who arrive, survive." which reassured our decision.

        After walking for a while we passed more maps and checked to see if we were still on the right path. Each time we checked we were so we passed a few until we checked.

        Once we had reached what looked like the last sign, Rick directed us to lay all of our weapons out. I took out my machete and lay it onto the dusty path, that's all I had. Glenn took out a small pocket knife out of his shirt pocket, a pistol from his holder on his hip, and seven bullets out of his pocket.