chapter thirty-six

"High Queen Rowyn," Reepicheep asked as they all began to talk about a plan. After Peter and Rowyn were rudely awoken by Edmund's panicked tone, they found that the Telmarines had formed a camp protected with a large army across the grassy plain in front of the How. "What do you suggest?"

Rowyn released the hold that her teeth had on her thumb and placed her hands on her hips. "We could negotiate something—I don't know what, just something that could prevent a full-blown war . . . I'm not losing any more people."

"Couldn't you just march over there and burn them to ash as you did in Calormene?" A centaur questioned.

Trumpkin spoke up. "She didn't kill those people—she saved them." Rowyn gave him a small smile.

"Besides," Rowyn said. "There could be innocents in that army that are only in it in order to survive under Miraz's rule—men who have wives, husbands, children—if I can avoid butchering an entire army than I'd prefer that."

"But if worse came to worse?" Caspian spoke up.

Rowyn closed her eyes for a moment and took a deep breath. "If worse comes to worse—if it comes between the Telmarines butchering my people or us using brute force to win . . . then I will. Only as a last resort."

Rowyn moved to lean against the rock table that rested in the middle of the room beside Peter. "Lucy . . . would you be willing to do something?"

....

"You're talking about sending a little girl into the darkest part of the forest alone?" Trumpkin protested against the High Queen and High King's plan.

"It is our only chance to win this without a burnt blood bath." Peter told him.

"And she wouldn't be alone." Rowyn turned to look at Susan with a small smile. She was grateful that Susan was willing to protect her sister on the journey to find Aslan.

Trumpkin walked towards Lucy. "Haven't enough of us died already?"

"No one else is dying . . . Susan is ridiculously skilled with a bow. She's survived many wars, threats, and men with half a brain for years now. Lucy will be in safe hands." Rowyn told Trumpkin after receiving a grateful smile from Susan. "If I didn't think Lucy would be safe, I wouldn't send her out there—she's my family and I always protect my family. That's why this must be done, Trumpkin."

The dwarf took a deep breath. "Then I'm going with her."

Lucy rested a hand on his shoulder. "But they need you here."

"They need to be held off until Lucy and Susan get back." Peter chimed in.

"If I may," Caspian spoke up from his place on the steps. "Queen Rowyn spoke about negotiating something with the Telmarines . . . I think I know something they would be up to doing. Miraz may be a tyrant and a murderer, but as King he is subject to the traditions and expectations of his people."

Rowyn smiled as realization struck her. "A duel."

"Who would fight him? Rowyn?" Susan questioned.

Caspian gave Rowyn a sad look. "I hate to say this, but Miraz doesn't exactly view woman as . . . capable. He wouldn't except a duel against her." Rowyn sighed.

"Sexist dick." She mumbled under her breath so only Peter heard it.

Peter gripped the lion again. "I'll do it—I'll write a letter and Edmund could send it over with some guards and get Miraz's say on it." Rowyn's mouth twitched at the confidence. After that night of devastated crying, both of them realized that they needed to be strong. There was no time to morn, right now they needed to be focused on fighting the injustice of Narnia's falling, of their people's butchering with justice. Rowyn wouldn't let those soldiers die in vain.

Caspian nodded. "That will buy us enough time for them to get back and then . . . well we'll go from there." Rowyn told them all and they nodded in understanding and the group dispersed until it was just her and Peter.

"Are you sure?" She asked, placing her hand on his shoulder while he grabbed a piece of parchment and a quill.

Peter looked at her and nodded before pressing a kiss to her forehead. "I've won plenty of duels in my life . . . I'll be okay, Wynne."

"You better be," She smiled. "Because if you die on me I swear to God." Peter chuckled.

"If I die, I'd still be with you every step of the way—protecting you." Rowyn smiled at his words and cupped his cheeks to maneuver his lips to hers. "I love you more than anything, you know that right." He brushed her collarbone with his fingertips as their forehead remained together and their lips brushed.

She smiled and brushed his cheekbone while her nose brushed his. "I know . . . because I feel the exact same way."