CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Start from the beginning

"What smells so good, Bato?" Sokka cut Aang off.

"The sisters craft ointments and perfumes." Bato told us.

"Perfume? Maybe we can dump some on Appa, because he stinks so much." Sokka joked. "Am I right?"

No one laughed. "You have your father's wit."

He took us back to his room and it looked just like the average Water Tribe home.
We sat down and began eating the stewed sea prunes as he told us about dad. Aang tried to talk to but it wasn't possible, he even got scolded for touching something I felt bad and walked over to him. I kinda saw Aang like a little brother so I didn't want him to feel left out.

"Not hungry?" I asked watching as Momo ate the soup from the bowl that Aang didn't want.

"Not so much." He answered.

"I'm sorry about my siblings." I looked at them. "It's just been so long since we've seen or talked about our dad."

He looked at me. "I understand Kaida, you can go over and talk to them."

"Alright." I sighed and walked over as Bato told stories.

We talked to Bato about dad and listened to all the stories he told, I was happy that my mind wasn't stuck on the stupid future prediction.

"If you wait here until the message arrives you can come with me and see your father again." Bato explained.

"It's been over two years since we've seen dad!" Sokka said. "That would be so incredible! Katara! Kaida!"

"I do really miss him, it would be great to see dad." Katara said.

"Yeah.." I answered.

"It's been far too long hasn't it?" Bato said. "I'm not sure when word will arrive but when it does we can all go together."

"That would be great." I said. "But we can't right now, we have to take Aang to the North Pole first."

"Even if we had time for the message, who knows how far we'll travel." Katara said. "We don't have time for a long detour."

"We're sorry." Sokka said.

"I'm sure your father will understand." Bato told us. "And be proud that his children are helping the Avatar."

"Hey, where's Aang?" I asked turning to the corner we last saw him in.

"Eh probably out and about." Sokka said and asked about another story.

I sighed and drank from my bowl and continued to listen. Aang came back happier.
We soon went to sleep and I woke earlier than the others leaving a note saying I was going back to the beach. I stuck it on Sokka's forehead and left. I started waterbending again if I wanted to be a powerful waterbender I had to practice as much as I could.

⇢ ⇢ ⇢

"Here." Katara handed me an apple. "You left so early I assume you didn't eat breakfast."

"Thanks" I took a bite and enjoyed the fruit.

"This ship is sentimental to me." Bato said. "It was built by my father."

"Is this the boat he took you ice dodging in?" Sokka asked.

"Yep, It's got the scar to prove it." Bato said proudly. "How about you, Sokka? You must have some good stories from your first time ice dodging."

"He never got to go." I answer as Sokka frowned. "Dad left before he was old enough."

"Oh, I forgot you were too young." Bato apolgized.

"What's ice dodging?" Aang asked.

"It's a right of passage for young Water Tribe members." Bato said. "When you turn 14 your dad takes you... You know what, you're about to find out!"

We got on the boat and set sail. "Ice dodging is the ceremonial test of wisdom, bravery, and trust." Bato explained. "In our village it was done my weaving a boat through a field of icebergs."

"How are we supposed to ice dodge without ice?" Sokka asked.

"Your sisters are waterbenders." Bato smiled and I smiled creating the ice rising in the close distance, only with my one good hand. "Great one, Kaida."

"Thanks." I replied.

"Sokka, you steer and call the shots, but lead wisely." Bato said. "Katara and Kaida you two secure the sails the winds can be brutal, so be brave. Aang you control the jib, without your steady hand we all go down. Your position is about trust."

"I know that!" Aang said. "I know that! Why wouldn't I know that?! I'm the Avatar. I know about trust!"

"For this to be done correct, I can not help, you pass or fail on your own." Bato sat down in front of us.

"Aang, easy up on the jib, Katara and Kaida keep the sails steady." Sokka ordered. "Aang, less sail, Katara, give him room."
Aang did it but the boat still rocked to the side by the wave. Sokka told Aang something but Aang didn't know what that meant and it was bad enough that Sokka couldn't even turn the boat but we made it safely and he congradulated us.

"We're not done yet." I said pointing to the rocks.

"There's no way through!" Katara told him

"We can make it!" Sokka said.

"Sokka, you've alreday proven yourself maybe we should—" Bato started but never finished.

"Aang, I'm gonna need air in those sails." Sokka ordered. "Katara and Kaida, I want you both to bend as much water as you can between us and those rocks. Now!"

We did what he said and raised up. "Katara, we need more water!" I said and so we got more water making it over safely.

"The spirits of water bare witness to these marks." Bato annouced. "For Sokka, the mark of the wise. For Katara and Kaida, the mark of the brave. Your courage inspires us and for Aang, the mark of the trusted. You are now an honorary member of the Water Tribe."

"I can't." Aang said.

"Sure you can." Katara said.

"No, you can't trust me." He wiped the paint off and backed away.

"Aang, what are you talking about?" She asked and he pulled out a balled up piece of paper.

"A messenger gave this to me." I took it and looked at it. I frowned and Katara gasped. "You have to understand I was afraid—"

"THIS IS THE MAP TO OUR FATHER!" Sokka shouted at him. "YOU HAD IT THE WHOLE TIME?! HOW COULD YOU?!" Aang winced. "Well, you can go to the North Pole on your own! I'm going to find dad!"

"Now Sokka, I think you should—"

"Katara, Kaida, are you with me?!" Sokka asked and we turned to Aang.

————————
Edited; 10/29/20
Re-Edited; 7/9/21