Warrior for Arromnae

Perspiration beaded on his brow; his breath caught in his throat. They were coming for him, coming to drain the life from his body. He'd seen it before; the Valchädim would attack and wrap its tentacle-like appendages around its prey. Then it would rob the victim of his spirit and mind, leaving an empty corpse to walk the earth for all eternity.

He could think of nothing but fleeing the horrid creatures. He had tread many miles already. First Boarrach, leader of the enemy, had taken him captive. When he had escaped with information, the Valchädim were sent to thwart his flight. Lemmikai knew he must return to his home.

The memory of the last time he had seen his family came flooding back. He remembered kissing his wife and ruffling his son's hair, trying to maintain normality. He had memorized the scene hoping to turn back to it when he lost hope. He could remember Kelär's red locks framing her delicate face. Her green, tear-filled eyes had held greedily to the moment, just as his own had done. It seemed as though a lifetime had passed, though it had only been two months. Still, two months was longer than the promised return date he had given his beloved.

Lemmikai knew he was nearing a village. Continuing north, he made his way to Barühn. He was glad that both moons were visible this night, to aid his vision. To the left of the cloaked man was the edge of the forest, and beyond that were the Plains of Balidor. As desperately as he wished to make haste, he dared not take the quicker route across the plains. He would remain hidden in the woods.

As he neared the village, he had nearly reached exhaustion. The weary man had been running throughout most of the day, only resting when his body could not handle anymore punishment. Barühn was almost perfectly silent. Only a haunting moan rose as the gentle breeze passed through the buildings. Lemmikai skulked through the shadows. However, unbeknownst to the weary man, there were no inhabitants in the town to detect his presence. He found a ramshackle building in which to rest. The dark-haired man lay on the dirt floor. He noticed, with a chilling unease, the tattered curtains that billowed in the cool breeze.

Odd, he thought as he gazed at the old lace window coverings, that they should look so like the creature I would become if the Valchädim were to catch me. So frail, they seem. Dread filled him even as his eyes closed.

While Lemmikai drifted into a fitful sleep, the Valchädim followed his trail. They were in a state of frenzy now that they had caught his scent. They had become enraged when the scent was lost, searching doggedly with guttural sounds of dismay. Now, as their prey lay dreaming of his loved ones, the merciless lot was bearing down on him with an even greater speed and energy.

Little did they know, they were not the only hunters that night.

Falaroy, son of King Shamerich and Prince of the Elven kingdom, was tracking the monsters. As he rode his woolly palomino horse, he looked for signs of the Valchädim's presence. He had followed their trail for many days, ever since they had slaughtered an entire village of his people. Anger boiled within him as he thought back to that wretched day. He had found the small town of Aerimae filled with Svenden, the spiritless bodies that the Valchädim left in their wake. Falaroy had been greatly aggrieved to find many children among them.

A horrific sound tore him out of his thoughts. It had come from the garish creatures. It was the screeching wail they made only if they were certain of victory. They had found their target.

Adrenaline rushed through his veins as he urged Kaerstrider into a full gallop. When he reached his intended destination, however, he halted in utter shock.

Surrounded by the corpses of five Valchädim beasts was a single man, glowing from head to toe in the light of Arromnae. The radiance soon dissipated, leaving an exhausted human. The putrid stench of the creatures' blood caused the dark-haired man to slump to the earth.

Dismounting, Falaroy pulled the human away from the carnage. He then positioned him on Kaerstrider and set off toward his father's kingdom.

Lemmikai awoke to a heavenly chanting. Confused, he opened his eyes and sat up. All about him were alabaster walls with golden drapery hanging about ornate windows. Thick pillars were positioned symmetrically along the outer edge of the large room. A bright, pale light filled the entire chamber, causing the stunned man to blink rapidly.

"Ah! He is awake," a strong voice called out. Lemmikai turned to the sound.

A tall man with long, golden-brown hair stood in an archway. Dressed in new-leaf-green and ivory, he stood out against the white walls. With shock, Lemmikai noticed the man's pointed ears.

An elf!

"Welcome to the land of my father, Shamerich the Wise, King over Paetha, and high servant to Arromnae. Now tell me, what is thy name?"

"Lemmikai, son of Fiel," the man answered after only a moment of hesitation.

The next few days passed in a whirl. Falaroy told his guest how he had found him surrounded by the Valchädim that he had slaughtered. He also told Lemmikai of the heavenly glow which had surrounded him. In turn, the man told the Elven king of the secrets which he had gathered during his imprisonment. To thank Lemmikai for his help in defending their countries against Boarrach, the elves threw a feast, and offered him many gifts.

Their greatest gift, though, was the promise of escorting him to his own home. When the day came for him to leave the Elvish kingdom of Paetha, his heart swelled in anticipation.

A sense of peace filled Lemmikai as the distance was closed between him and the valley in which his family lived. He had insisted that he make the last stretch of his journey alone. The excited young man gave his farewells to Falaroy and the other elves that had joined him on his trip, and left them at the top of the ridge overlooking his valley. Riding Bäknarr, one of the many gifts given him by the Elves, Lemmikai glanced back at the two pack-laden horses.

Kelär is certainly in for a surprise.

A smile surfaced as he caught sight of his cottage-styled home. He urged his new black stallion into a lope, anxious to be reunited with his wife and son.

A small figure walked around the back of the building and paused. In fear, the little boy fled to the house. Soon his mother stepped out and, realizing that her husband was home, ran to greet him.

Lemmikai halted the horses and alighted Bäknarr. The second his feet touched the ground, he was in the embrace of Kelär. Both were crying and laughing in sheer joy. Jehrim, their son, soon joined them, eyeing the horses. Able to contain his curiosity no further, Jehrim begged his father to tell him what had happened.

So, as they walked to the house, Lemmikai began his story, hugging his wife and son as if to assure that he truly had returned home.

Author's note: One of my oldest writings that I still have easy access to. This was written for English class in my senior year of high school. I had used several names from other stories that I was working on at the time. Perhaps, someday, I will get around to reworking this piece.