Chapter 1: Sunset

George's POV

I took a deep breath and exhaled, releasing all the tension that built up inside of my chest. Releasing them for the first time in a long time.

I placed my hands on my lap, sitting in a cross-legged position as my back pressed gently onto the old tree, not far away from our house.

I looked up to the scenic sky that stretched above me, almost seeming endless, splashed with pigments and shades of orange and red that perfectly complemented each other. Well, that's what they say. Too bad I can't see it for myself.

But despite my inability of seeing the sunset's colours, I still can sense and feel its beauty. It is exquisite and ravishing as it always is.

There's just something about the sunset that makes me feel at ease and tranquil. It makes me forget all of my problems for a short period of time and makes me temporarily complete.

But all of those just happens during the sunset. When dusk comes rushing, all of my worries do too.

I've always pondered what it would feel like to be in love. Not that I'm rushing but it feels like I'm missing out. People who were successful in love describes love like it's magical and enchanting. Like it's something out of a fairytale.

But of course I know that love not only holds extreme happiness, it also bears profound pain if you're unfortunate enough. Love has immense duality. It can both make or break a person.

Sometimes it lasts in love, sometimes it hurts instead.

I just can't help but wonder what it would feel like to love and appreciate someone very deeply, to have someone return the same affections, someone to cuddle with, to have a shoulder to lean on during the hardest times, to have someone hold your hand and tell you that it's gonna be okay, and just someone to spend the rest of your life with.

I've tried everything from blind dates to online dates. In the end, it's all the same pain but different scenarios. I guess that's too much to ask. Maybe I'm just meant to be alone forever. When it was my turn, Cupid must've somehow missed the shot.

If that's the case, why do I still feel incomplete? That feeling like there's a void inside of me that I can't quite quench. Like a candle missing its flame. The moon missing its light. The sun missing its heat. And the rainbow missing its colour.

While I was submerged in an ocean of my thoughts, I noticed an unfamiliar car pull up right in front of our house.

I stood up and dusted off the tiny blades of grass that sticked onto my jeans as I ran back to our house. I slowly opened the backdoor and immediately, I heard chatter from the living room.

I ambled towards the living room and saw Bad and a man seated on the sofa, chatting and laughing.

Bad's emerald eyes then perked up when he noticed me, beckoning me over with a cheery smile. "George! There you are. Come join us."

I gave them both a polite smile, sitting next to Bad.

"This is George. My roommate and my best friend." He gestured at me, smiling at the man.

The man had black hair that almost looked like a Mohawk fade, almond complexion, his dark brown eyes gazing softly at Bad, wearing a delicate smile.

The man extended his hand to me, grinning. "Hello, George. I'm Skeppy. It's nice to finally meet you, Bad told me a lot about you."

I shook his hand, returning the smile. "It's also nice to meet you. All good things, I hope?"

He chuckled. "All good things." He turned to Bad, standing up, adjusting his plaid cardigan. "This was a very memorable day, I hope we'll get to see each other again soon. I'll get going now."

Bad also stood up, a slight shade of pink creeping unto his porcelain cheeks. "It's been a blast. I'll walk you out."

Bad led Skeppy outside while I watched them through the window, crossing my arms.

Before Skeppy left, he gave Bad a quick hug, flashing him one last smile before he disappeared into the night.

Bad went back inside, stifling a smile as he sat down beside me, twiddling with his fingers.

"So, your boyfriend?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

He chuckled lightly, shaking his head. "No, no. Well, atleast, not yet. He was my date."

"Oh wow, Bad. Where do you find these people? He looked and acted like a person out of your dreams." I queried, genuinely curious.

"From a matchmaking company actually. People spoke very highly of it and I just had to try. And it did not disappoint." He replied, a contented smile settling on his lips.

"What co--"

In the middle of our conversation, the front door suddenly opened, Sapnap wearing full denim trotting inside.

"Hi, Sapnap. What are you doing here?" Bad greeted him with a small wave.

Sapnap sat beside Bad, crossing his legs. "Hey everyone. Just saw a sketchy dude coming out of your house and wanted to know wassup."

"It was Bad's date." I stated.

Sapnap gasped and then grinned, patting Bad on the shoulder. "That's dope. Where'd you meet him?"

"A matchmaking company set us up." Bad replied.

Sapnap cocked his head to the side. "Matchmaking company?"

"Yeah, Mojang. Known for its very accurate matchmaking services. The biggest matchmaking company in the world as of today." Bad explained, picking up his coffee from the table, taking a small sip from it.

"Accurate, eh?" I hummed in thought.

Bad's eyes perked up, he turned to me. "You should try it, George!" He fished a card out of his pocket and gave it to me.

I looked down at the card, conflicted and hesitant. "I-- I don't know, Bad."

Bad placed a hand on my shoulder, giving it a slight squeeze. "Don't rush yourself, George. I'm just merely letting you know that there are options. You should do what you think is best for yourself."

I smiled at him, comforted by his words. "Thanks, Bad."

I gazed back down at the business card clutched tightly in my hand, brushing my thumb over the numbers engraved on it, the big "Mojang" staring back at me.

Bad seems to speak so highly of this company and other people too, is it really worth the try? Should I risk my heart again? It's been broken too many times that I've lost count.

Sapnap crossed his arms, pursing his lips. "My big brother instincts are telling me no."

I laughed at that. "Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm older than you."

He chuckled back. "By age? Yes. Mentally? No."

I leaned closer to him and slapped him playfully by the arm, rolling my eyes, Bad laughing alongside us. "How dare you!"

Sapnap rubbed his arm, pouting. "Just looking out for you, that's all. I don't want to see you heartbroken again. Seeing any of you sad also makes me sad."

"Aww come here, you two." I said, pulling both of them in a tight yet endearing hug.

"I love you, you sweet little muffins." Bad hugged back, his embrace motherly, making me feel safe and reassured.

After a couple more seconds, we all pulled back. I raised my chin up, feeling a little more confident. I took a deep breath, feeling a little more certain. If they can, why can't I?

I looked at both of them, my dark brown eyes radiating determination. I feel motivated. I feel inspired. "I'll do it."

I'll give it a shot. I'll give love one last chance. And maybe...just maybe...I'd finally find my perfect match.