Matters of the Heart

Start from the beginning

"Miss Warrington!" Madame Pomfrey chided.

"Now dear, I'm sure you must be in shock. You're not far along only three months," she said softly as if to soothe her. It had the opposite effect. Emma's eyes practically bulged out of her sockets and panic started bubbling. 

How had she spent three months without noticing this? Apart from puking the one time, she had not shown symptoms otherwise...unless you counted her sluggishness that started a month ago.

You were in the middle of a war, she thought. Remember the part where you thought it was stress? She did.

"Three you say?" Remus said. His arms were folded with a small smile on his face thinking over the realness of the situation. He wanted to soothe her but he held back, currently under the impression that she was still figuring out what this meant for her.

"No. No. This isn't happening." Emma wasn't talking to them. She was talking to herself. She hastily got up from the bed and stumbled a little on shaky legs.

"I'm certain you will have this lover's quarrel sorted out in no time," the nurse tried to calm down the distraught woman. She tried to reach out but Emma stepped back instead with a hand on her stomach as if to shield it.

"Miss Warrington please you are disturbing the other patients," she tried to reason.

"Emma please sit down and listen," Remus pleaded. She shook her head. "For the baby."

It's not just me anymore, Emma considered. She slowly nodded and sat back down.

Lost in thought, she chewed her lower lip as Madame Pomfrey explained that despite her reckless behaviour of partaking in the Battle of Hogwarts, she only came out with a minor cut on her head. She had been put in the hospital when the nurse had found out through an initial on-field diagnostic spell that she was expecting for her and the baby's safety.

She was going to be a mother, she thought.

ϟ

Remus looked at her. Love and care shone in his eyes as he watched her process everything. While he should be scared, he was the opposite. Once appalled at the thought of bringing a child with his genes into the world, he was now elated. Elated because it was with the most perfect woman. The one he loved. That and Sirius had spent the months after Emma's departure showing him newspaper clippings from the Prophet about children born to werewolf parents.

He was brimming with nothing short of admiration.

He was going to be a father. 

If only she accepted him now.

"I'm here for you. For us," he looked at her softly. Remus sat down on the bed and pulled her into a hug, one hand resting on her hips the other smoothing over her tummy. She let him hold her putting her arms around his waist. She needed to grip herself to reality to make sure she wasn't dreaming this. Having him hold her, feeling like home, still soaking in the news.

It was Bill's scratched up face she had seen at the shore by the cottage. Since ending up at their hideout, she had done nothing but worry. That and send letters to Sirius hoping Remus was reading them too.

A few days ago, heck even the last 24 hours before they had been in the middle of a full-fledged battle. Scenes from the last twenty-four hours came to her in bits and pieces. She had gotten a glimpse of Remus at one point but she had to stop herself from following him to help out other Order members. The last thing she remembered was fending off some Death Eaters while Ron and Hermione made a break for the second-floor girl's bathroom.