Chapter 13: Different

The president's address to the nation was what brought it all to a head just as they reached their two-week mark.

        "It shall be the policy of this nation to regard any nuclear missile crossing the embargo line that surrounds Cuba as an attack by the Soviet Union on the United States requiring a full retaliatory response upon the Soviet Union . . . ultimately leads to war.

        So their hard work and training had finally come to an end. There was bound to be either a fight or a stand-still at the embargo line if they could help it. Regardless of what would happen, they knew that Shaw was bound to meet them there with his attempt to start World War III. There would be no taking chances.

        They were all instructed to get a long night of sleep, but no one turned in early. Training had been concluded for everyone individually, leaving them with what they had learned and accomplished in the past couple weeks. Admittedly, Kat felt proud of herself for learning so quickly, just as Charles had said he was proud of her, too.

        For that reason, it seemed perfect cause for the two of them to celebrate with a bottle of wine in Charles's room. 

        The fireplace lit the room with a beautiful glow of flame that danced against Kat's features from where she sat in her chair before it. Charles sat just across from her, as he had every night for their training sessions. A soft tune played from the record player atop the dresser in the corner, soothing Kat as she sat and watched the telepath before her expectantly.

        "I have to warn you, Charles," Kat said as Charles poured them their first glasses of wine.  "Despite everything I've done in my life, I've never really enjoyed alcohol." 

        "That could be for many reasons," Charles mused, placing the wine bottle in the bowl of ice on the table between them.

        "And what might those be?" Kat asked as she accepted her glass from Charles.

        "One being atmosphere." Slowly, Charles swirled the red wine in his glass and brought it beneath his nose to take in the aroma. "Another is taste." He tilted the glass to his lips, trying it. Once his glass lowered, he met Kat's eyes. "And company."

        Kat swirled the wine in her glass, a smile on her lips. "Let's see if the combination is right, then." She mirrored Charles's movements, breathing in the scent of the wine before tasting it for herself. She took in the deep taste of fruit and the sharp taste of alcohol, all the while taking note of Charles's smile as he watched her. 

        The wine was perfect. Kat could help but smile. "You just know everything about me, don't you?"

        "Most everything." There was no denying it; Charles had learned all about her entire life with their lessons in telepathy, just as Kat had the opportunity to learn about him through his mind, in return. "There are some things that I won't peer into with your mind."

        "But you could all the same."

        "What would be the fun in that?" Charles had another drink of his wine and then considered Kat once more, his expression changing to that of almost realization. "Everyone has their secrets. Even so, you would still surprise me."

        Kat did not know what to say to that, simply looking down to the glass of wine she held in her lap. She heard Charles get up, and when she looked up she was faced with him holding his hand out to her.

        "Dance with me, Christiana."

        There was no denying that it had also become very soothing to for her to hear him call her by her real name like that. Kat figured, so what if he knew her name? It wasn't like some secret weapon against her anymore.  Besides, no one could say it like he did. No one put that spark behind those syllables. 

        Kat tucked her hair behind her ear and placed her hand in Charles's. She stood, placing her glass on the table next to his. "I don't really—"

        "Of course you do," Charles reassured her before she could finish her sentence. "Like this." Carefully, he lifted Kat's hand to rest it on his shoulder, taking Kat's other hand in his before resting his other hand on her waist. He began to lead their bodies to sway to the music, and Kat let him guide her. In time, Charles's arm wrapped around her to pull her closer, and Kat rested her head against Charles's shoulder.

        It was almost surreal to feel so close to a man after living a life where she only knew men for nights at a time. With Charles, Kat felt like she had known him her whole life. Yet they had only met a month before. 

        "Feels like an eternity, I know," Charles spoke gently, making Kat lift her head to meet his blue eyes. Kat knew the warmth she felt inside her wasn't from the wine or the fire when she saw the look there.

        "Something like that," Kat admitted, blinking as she looked elsewhere and continued their dancing. "With you, it's different. Everything is different."

        "I could say the same about you, Christiana."

        Kat could have laughed at that, though she settled for giving a minute shake of her head. "Charles, I have seen into your mind, your past. How am I different from those girls?"

        "You have no idea, do you?" Charles was surprised, though he smiled nonetheless. "How different you really are. I have never met anyone like you. You've lived your life surviving and yet you've agreed to join us as we jump into what could be war. You're incredibly brave, Christiana. Intelligent, yes, but there is so much more to you. And if you don't mind me saying, I believe you have changed my life as much as you believe I have changed yours."

        Kat felt the heat go straight to her cheeks, her vision blurring just the slightest with tears brought to her eyes. "Are you always reading my mind?" She asked lightheartedly.

        "I don't have to read your mind to know some of the things you're thinking."

        "And I suppose that's what makes me different?"

        "As a matter of fact, it does," Charles said, stepping back from Kat without letting go of her. "I said 'some.' With the other women you're referring to, I've never been surprised, never left to wonder." His eyes softened and he let go of her hand in his to place it on her waist, holding her there. "Never amazed."

        Kat met Charles's eyes once more, not expecting to hear that. "You think I'm amazing?"

        "I think you're a great many things," Charles spoke softly, just as Kat felt him place his finger beneath her chin to tilt her face to his, the distance between them closing as he pulled her close with his other arm once more. 

        Kat held his gaze there, unconsciously licking her lips. "Do you have to read my mind to know what I'm thinking right now, then?"

        "I don't have to read your mind," Charles answered, his mouth inching closer to Kat's as his words ghosted across her lips, "Because we're thinking the exact same thing."

        And before either of them could say anything else, their lips finally touched, and so their music played on.