16: Haunted

The furniture sizzle into holograms, including the bookshelves.

I skitter to the other edge of the room. My eyes dart around, searching for a handy weapon. The holograms slip through my grasp; is there something solid in this room besides the robots and I?

The lamp flickers like an old firefly as Da-Xing's blue eyes glare at me. Mechanical whirs create a turbulent in its massive, metal body. Soon, crackles come alive through its raised fingers.

The room's temperature rises several degrees—or is that merely my nervousness?

"The window, Allice Worke. See if it can be broken or not."

"What?" I stammer as fear embraces a part of my heart, buckling my knees to the nearest wall. "This is too impossible."

"Allice Worke has Xin-Yo!" it exclaims. "Xin-Yo will try to remember Da-Xing's weakness—there must be something in the journal. Allice Worke must either try for the window or distract Da-Xing."

Xin-Yo's spirit burns the dying fuse in me. Kicking myself off the floor, I dash to the window, which seems like endless miles away. I trace the sleek surface and search for a latch, or a hook, or...

"Watch out!"

Da-Xing's fingers snap against the window just as I duck beneath it. I roll aside as it tries to grasp me, but the motion strains my waist. I stop myself from yelping at the sprouting pain.

"We don't have much time." I grit my teeth, rolling aside thrice to avoid the white sparks from the robot's nails. This time, I can barely hide the pained grimace. It soothes my insides for the briefest moment when the sparks collide against the floor instead, leaving black trails beneath the bookshelves.

"Da-Xing means Big Star in a language."

One of the lightnings hit my elbow, and I freeze as the unstable white spark jolts my skin awake. The pain sears hot and steady. First my waist, then my elbow... how long will I last this way?

"Da-Xing's special abilities are electricity, sensitive senses—like mimicking any surfaces, and enormous strength."

"Weakness?"

"The aluminum armor isn't as heavy as it looks. Da-Xing is a messy fighter. Da Xing is also afraid of heights. Allice Worke, the window is our only way out."

Having dashed back to our potential escape route with much struggle, I push the glass with my hands, but it doesn't budge. I bash my knuckles red against it. Dust scatters on the sill after Da-Xing's earlier punch and my recent one. While its creaking footsteps advance closer, a thunder brews in the room. Smaller lightnings crowd around its fingertips, like children having a tantrum.

I can't escape from this monster alone. Not without Xin-Yo's help.

"I think I have a plan. I don't know if it'll work, but... get out and hold tight to my shoulders. Once I duck from the window to lure Da-Xing, you should hop off, and punch the glass once Da-Xing does it too. We'll use its strength against it."

"But if the window breaks, Xin-Yo might fall..."

"See, the backpack has loose, but thick threads. Tie them to your strongest body part; could be an arm, or your leg..."

"But what will Allice Worke—"

Before a word flurries out, a fist slams against where my head once was. The punch barely grazes my ear. I flip sideways, already flinging Xin-Yo to the panels. A crack already forms tentacles after the hit. It grows bigger as Xin-Yo's knuckles continue to assault the window.