12: Petrified

The next time my eyes flit to the neighbor's roof, the four-legged shadow is gone. It's both relieving and burdensome. Some animals are still wandering around, even in Highlife areas... wait—is it why it disappears now... because it isn't attracted to a Highlife territory?

"Sandra must stay back; that long sickle can only be used in close combat." Roy puts his mask on. His sharp command stirs me awake.

"Ridiculous."

"You chose that back at my lab. Told both of you to choose something easier, right?" He pats her shoulder like a brother before stepping to the balcony's railings, the tossing-and-turning Rubik's Shield in his hand. "Allice, get ready. Come here at my call. Remember the plan: both sides get out alive. We're only here to defend ourselves, not to hurt anyone."

His emphasis makes me gulp.

Is he afraid that I'll avenge Lin-Irene for her treatments to Auntie Morgan?

"Put your hands in the air!" someone bellows down there, followed by the shrill clicks of taser rods. Arsy's whimpers claw through the air, along with her treading soles.

"Do you think it'll work?" Sandra whispers from my crouching back. "Roy went too easy on her. Who would be scared to lose their phone forever? And trade it for distracting attempts?"

"A spoiled child like Arsy."

"I just want to get fresh air. Why am I treated like this?" Arsy struggles. "Why are they here, Irene? What did you... tell them you're my friend, and I've done nothing wrong—"

"You've helped me a lot, Arsy. Thank you for the Friendly Dogson update." Lin-Irene pauses, as if letting the words hit Arsy like a hammer. "Get her into the—"

Roy beckons at me before throwing the cube on the driveway.

It lands with a hiss, exploding into a massive wall, pushing everything to the road's center. The police cars roar with sirens as they crash against the neighbors' cars.

Roy draws a handful of grenades from the pouch on his belt, tilting the black devils around. "The grapples are set."

I poke a finger into my ear to ensure it's clean. What grapples? "Don't grenades explode?"

"Yup, with grappling hooks that shoot out of metal arms." As I let out half a smile, he nervously chuckles. "What? I'm trying to save as much blood as possible. Hospitals are running out of donors and supplies."

"I know you're behind all this, Roy." Shattered glass on the road cracks under a pair of boots. When I peek from the railings, Lin-Irene is twisting her taser rod in a way similar to Roy with his Rubik's Shield. There's also a hair clip like Sandra's to tidy her bangs; what weapon will it turn into? "Turn him in and I'll leave."

Spite glints in Roy's eyes when he shakes his head. Unbuckling his knees, he drops three grenades to the road. Sounds of slinking metal arms explode like a several-headed serpent, closing in around each unmoving limb. Some tasers buzz against the grappling arms, only for the sparks to bounce back.

Roy really is avoiding a bloody war for Irene's sake.

"Allice Worke," someone bellows. "Turn yourself in. Hand over what you've stolen. Fighting will result in nothing. More people will get hurt."

It's like lava is flooding my system. I hurl the boomerang from above. As I land on my back, flipping the glasses off my nose and cringing at the boomerang's rough scratch on my healing palm, pained cries fill the night. I harshly lift my healthy arm to catch the twisting weapon. Blood and ripped fabric decorate the Dragonfish-teethed edges like plaques.