6: Challenging

There's no time to breathe.

Darting into the flat, I crash through the storage door. I search the loose floorboard, fishing out the metal cube. The shrimps click excitedly. Eager claws try to reach the small hole on its lid, fighting for the leftover worms Auntie Morgan gave them this morning.

The sirens sound like wails of a newborn, ear-splitting.

Timid footsteps rush behind me as I grab my satchel and shove the cube into it. Miro barely blinks as I snatch his hand, thundering towards the door.

Sandra looks paler, her lips hesitating to voice out. Contrasting her is Roy, already with his mask back and a gray hood. Clutched in his hand is a black-and-white Rubik's Cube—a modified weapon. Only Highlifes have access to such extraordinaire.

"We'll meet you at Huntshire." Small shakes rattle his shoulders, despite his calm demeanor. "Sandra, don't get lost. Do you have your civetone?"

A small bottle pokes out from her overall's pocket.

Why is he doing this? Though those people work under his dad, they won't recognize his disguise. What if he gets hurt?

"We have to go." Sandra firmly grabs my arm, yanking me to the opposite way. The sirens blare louder, bouncing off the solid buildings. "I'll explain why later—"

They're already in the alleyway. After messy screeches, sounds of unlocked doors slash the air. Dozens of brown-clothed and masked police scramble out. The three bulky officers from OCZ are also here.

Miro's nails dig into my skin. Sandra's tugs become more urgent, desperate. I search for another platinum-head. In the cars and under. Behind the tight group, since she's an average-height.

Where is Lin-Irene?

"We have to go." A pinch lashes my arm, and I turn to find Sandra's pleading eyes. "Roy's doing this for you. Irene and his family have done too much trouble—"

"Put that cube down." I freeze as a skinny, weaponless man marches to the head of the crowd. But instead of glaring at me, he aims it at Roy. He really has caught all their attention...

Roy barely obeys it as he whistles a strange tune, flipping the tension upside-down.

"We're here to search flat number six." The man holds a scroll-length paper up. My courage falters. Really—such effort for these shrimps? They can have it back if they want—

"No." Sandra glares at me, losing her innocent face. "I know what you're thinking. You can't give them up."

Did I just speak out loud again?

"But it will solve everything. We won't have to run away and hide. Auntie Morgan will be free—"

"Why is it hard for you to listen?" My ears lost track of the other party as Sandra blabbers, "I'm OCZ's vet assistant. These shrimps are meant to be killers." She emphasizes each word like pressing a dagger. "They were meant for your family. And your community. Now they're taking back their weapons after last night's victory. You can't give those back."

Wait, what? So Auntie Morgan's theories about OCZ are true?

Blue tongues of the taser rods flare from afar like beacons. Has Roy angered them?

Miro's continuous yawns distract me from both Roy and Sandra.

"You're so clueless. That's why Roy and I should help you." She looks back at Roy's cube-flipping hand, sheepishly giggling. Her grip on my wrist tightens. "We'll leave once he stops tossing."