The Night We Met

Chapter Two.

For the first time in my life I was speechless. What she said a few minutes ago comes back to my head and repeats itself over and over. 'I should have been there, I should have done something.'

Okay, that's one piece of the puzzle in this incredibly annoying situation. My angel did show up that day, and for a long time I was angry that she took such a risk when I was more than capable to protect myself. And now, it seems that the fact that she showed up and fought by my side is what kept me alive. Seems that I was not as capable as I thought.

Parts of the horrible things I said to her that day come back to slap me. 'Why would you risk your life like this? Seems like you wanted to die' 'I don't need anyone, I am more than capable of winning my own battles' 'The fact that we share a stupid bond does not force you to do something so unconscious'.

I'm such an asshole.

Many of those words came from the anger I felt having a not very pleasant conversation minutes before with my grandfather, which would be our last conversation, actually. In addition to how terrified I felt to see her in such danger. I've never seen a more brutal and bloody scene as the one we lived that day, and knowing that something could happen to her filled me with anguish and anger.

It's not an excuse though.

Since her parents are on vacation, the alternative version of Marinette and the trio of my useless brothers start a camp in the living room, And she starts making them hot chocolate. Do they think we are on vacation too or something? Even Jon would have been more useful than these three.

The four of them sit on their ridiculous camp, and they look at me, like they're waiting for me to do something.

"What?!" They turn to see each other, as if to decide who is going to speak. And apparently Grayson is the weakest player.

"If we want to understand what we are doing here, not only in another universe but specifically this one, it would be good If you tell us some stuff about your relationship with your Marinette."

Grayson looks somewhat nervous about how I will react, but also completely determined to convince me. Maybe they are right for once. Grayson and Drake are somewhat effective in this kind of task.

"Mari told us about the Miraculous already, so we already understand at least how we ended up here and a little more about your soulmate and how powerful she must be." Todd adds, drinking what I'm sure isn't hot chocolate but a huge cup of loaded coffee.

"Mari?" I reply. They JUST met her.

"It was my idea, so there's no confusion between whether you talk about your Marinette or me." Although in the light I can see the differences more clearly, she still sounds the same and makes the same gestures, and although I will never admit it out loud, it hurts to be here. It hurts to hear her, it hurts to see her. It just reminds me of what I lost.

"Okay, I guess is only fair. But I'm not telling you everything." The three idiots looked annoyed, but Mari began to smile playfully. Maybe it's not my Marinette but I would always recognize that face, here or in any other universe.

"Spit it out already, Dupain-Cheng." She was surprised for a few seconds, but then the smile returned to her face, maybe even bigger than before.

"We could play something very famous among teenagers, it's called 10 questions. That way you don't have to explain everything and we can get important information in a more pleasant way."

Jason starts laughing and Richard quickly starts to support Mari's idea. I listen to ridiculous arguments that come and go between the four of them until I realize that I will have to accept, so they can shut up. What a pain.