Gum and Bruises

Cover created by ABrunetteGirl

Lilah

We pulled up to my house and I sighed, unbuckling my seatbelt.

"I'm warning you, my dad can be a little... Harsh at times." I said to Caitlin, who was grabbing her backpack from the backseat.

"It's all right. I understand." She gave me a sad smile and we both got out of the car.

I was still so scared of how my dad was gonna act around her. I've never had anyone over before.

When we got in, my jaw dropped at the sight before us.

My dad was standing at the stove, cooking. I haven't seen him cook before. I've always been the one that cooks, maybe even before the accident.

"Dad?" I walked over to him. "You're cooking?"

"Of course, I'm cooking. What does it look like?" He laughed.

He laughed? Woah. There is something weird going on here.

"Dad, are you feeling alright?" I asked him.

"Yeah, why do you ask?" He raised one eyebrow and I shook my head.

"Nevermind. Caitlin and I are heading upstairs to work on our project." I told him, grabbing Caitlin's arm and pulling her up the stairs.

"You're dad seems nice." Caitlin says, with a confused look on her face.

"He normally isn't like this. Trust me." I shut my door. "This isn't like him at all."

"Hmm." She hummed and took out her book and a large sheet of rolled up poster board.

After about an hour, we're finished and just talking on my bed

"So, how are you liking Rosewood so far?" She asked me, making small talk.

"I love it! Almost everyone is so nice. I've made a lot of friends." I explained.

"You have?" I'm trying to decide if I should be offended that she's suprised.

"Yeah... Why are you surprised?" I asked.

"Oh! I didn't mean it that way." She cleared up quickly. "It's just that I've been going to Rosewood for two years, and your the only friend I have. If we even are friends."

"Of course we're friends." I told her, just as I got an idea. "How about you sit at my table at lunch on Thursday, and I can introduce you to my friends."

"Really? You would do that?" her eyes lit up, and that made me smile.

"Of course, that's what friends are for."

I light knock sounded from my door, and my dad peeked his head in.

"Food's ready. I made spaghetti." He said as he nodded and smiled at Caitlin.

I gave him a weird look at he closed the door. He was acting so weird. He actually smiled at her! He never smiles at me. I couldn't help but feel a little jealous.
~~~~~~

This was the first time my dad had ever tried to keep a conversation going during dinner. As soon as we sat down, he started asking about school.

I told him all about the auditions yesterday. I also told him about my friends, and that I got the part I wanted in the play.

Since he was in such a good mood, I also decided now would be the perfect time to tell him about my detention fiasco.

"Dad, something else happened too. I don't think you're going to be very happy about this one..." I said, and he put his fork down, ready to listen.