Chapter 1 (Prologue)

Shinpi-teki Inuzuka was an anomaly to her clan. But before she was an anomaly she was just a baby, born to Daisuke Inuzuka and her rapist. This would eventually provide the reasoning for her oncoming future in the world, something she never had control over.

Daisuke Inuzuka did not survive in the end. She didn't care about the fact that her child would be a byproduct of an act that never should have occurred, that child was hers the second she knew. Daisuke ended up carrying to term fiercely and without regret. It was entirely cruel fate that the birth was too stressful, too bloody, and inevitability fatal. Tsume Inuzuka lost her baby sister that night while her niece wailed on for hours, unconsciously mourning what she could not yet possibly process.

Kiba was born a year after Daisuke's death. Shinpi-teki grew up with relative attention from her aunt, and the world went on, a cycle that didn't stop with one tragedy.

In comparison to the stereotypical Inuzuka, Shinpi-teki was somber. Similarly to her aunt, she was blunt, and like many of her cousins, somewhere deep down, she was lonely. Until she was large enough to survive getting knocked over by a dog, that is.

When Shinpi-teki was developed enough, lonely enough, and determined enough. She got her first (and last, not that they knew that yet.) puppy. She adored him, to the point where Tsume and Shinpi-teki could actually get along smoothly for five minutes if her puppy was involved. His name was nearly going to be Tobi, but a child Shinpi-teki insisted upon spelling it Toby.

He matched well with Shinpi-teki, both of them were straight from an entirely different textbook.

He was the product of an Iwa mutt and one of the Inuzuka trackers. He was sleek coated, built for the heat and humidity. He was also, unfortunately, relatively unpopular with superstitious war mongers. Not that anyone really cared for their opinions in the first place.

Tsume, for however hard she tried, was not capable of raising her niece. Not well. She saw too much of Daisuke, saw too much of some Kumo scumbag. She couldn't do it. Shin, despite her age, managed to process this and learned many of the skills she needed to run an apartment by trial and error. Because in the end, that was where she was, an apartment.

She knew the effect she had on her clansmen, the effect Toby had, the effect they had together. Dai was precious to many. And alongside that, their differing features were a worse reminder. She understood more than she had any right too, and when given the chance had moved out of the compound with little fuss on her part.

The clan tried, they did. But they honestly couldn't try hard enough. They couldn't muster the will to care about what felt like their personal failing, this weakness to all of them.

Shinpi-teki didn't blame them for it. She almost hated herself, too. The Inuzuka treated her better than they had to, she wasn't alone, and that? That was fine.