Love In a Photograph [Happier With You 2]

TAEHYUN'S

"The heart is divided by a partition or septum into two halves," I read the words out loud, eyes straining to read the over the bulk of information I was cramping in my brain.

I groaned and reclined on my office chair, pinching my nose bridge. I have just memorized this same section of the book a week ago, how did I forget it quickly?

Everywhere I looked, I was drowned by responsibilities and stress, books and reviewers piled over each other like old newspapers. I have just pulled an all-nighter; I haven't noticed the sunlight peeking through my curtains.

My head was throbbing, which was why it was a bad idea to open my phone. But I did anyway, even when the glare forced my eyelids to scrunch. Someone has texted me—Kai, my med school classmate.

The nature of the message was urgent, apparently, Kai had tried to call me, but my phone was on silent. Since I couldn't make out what he meant by 'hyung he's here' in text, I called him.

"Hello? Kai? What's going on, I've been studying, barely had a wink of sleep--"

"Soobin-hyung is in Beomgyu-hyung's studio."

In a cliché romance movie, I would be dropping my phone to the floor in shock, but this wasn't a romance movie.

It's reality.

How can one truly be certain that everything gets better..., after the worst?

~Loving can hurt
Loving can hurt sometimes~

I reasoned with Kai, "Well, they were friends, right? It's fine, maybe he was just, visiting?"

I knew that wasn't the case. It has been a year. Soobin would be the last person Beomgyu wanted to see, at least I think so.

None of us have mentioned anything about being together, I have just assumed we had a mutual understanding.

I was just giving Beomgyu extra time to heal. Too much time...

Kai's line was silent. I spoke, "Kai, what are you even doing there?"

"Hyung, you asked me to return Beomgyu's stuff. The thing is still with me, I don't know—should I knock?"

I sighed. Right, I asked Huening Kai to return the spare laptop I borrowed from Beomgyu since my own was too broken to function after I spilled my coffee on it. The pressure of school works has totally wiped that from my memory.

I kicked on the legs of my study table, my chair rolling farther from it.

"You mean... Soobin is still there...?"

"Yes, hyung. It has been about thirty minutes and Soobin-hyung is still--"

"Kai, what's wrong with you? Knock on the door, it's not like you'd be interrupting something--"

"Hyung, we don't know that, can't I just leave this outside?"

"No, don't, unless you're willing to put a whole in your wallet when it gets stolen. Freaking knock already, Kai."

"Tyun-hyung--"

"That's it I'm coming, you absolute coward."

"Thank you, hyung! I--" I pressed the red button in the middle of his phone screen.

I made my way to my car, I was shaking, but not because of the low temperature—but because of the fear of not knowing what to expect.

Kai was waiting for me at the lobby of the establishment Beomgyu's studio was.