That Should Be Me [SooKai]

Description: Huening Kai couldn't help staring bitterly at Soobin's hands intertwined with Beomgyu's, as he thinks, 'That should be me.'

Request:"Hi, can I request a sookai au in which soobin keeps ignoring hyuka's feelings for him until the latter finally gives up and plans to continue his study in america to forget him? If possible I would like to see an happy ending, thank you :)" from bingkai_dunia on A03

[yall are reeeeaaallyyy gonna hate me for this :> i'll post a fluffy one soon enough]

Oneshot Proper:

HueningKai's POV:

Everybody's laughing in my mind
Rumors spreading 'bout this other guy

"Is it true?" I asked Taehyun. The both of us were sat on a wooden bench overlooking a children's playground. It was a small park near Tae's apartment.

He couldn't look at me, couldn't even look up at the sunset he loves so much. His head was hung low.

I stared blankly at the young souls swinging on the swings and sliding down the neon colored slides. They didn't have a care in the world, sometimes I wish I were just a kid. A kid who would only worry about their next flavor of ice cream, or where they would hide on the next game of hide-and-seek.

I shuffled closer to him when tears started to brim in his eyes. I engulfed him in a hug.

"Yes... Kai, dammit it's--" Taehyun sniffled, hanging tighter onto me.

I wore my fluffy sweater on purpose because I knew it would console him the most. He's always loved fluffy things, especially when it was Beomgyu, his ex.

"Kai?" came Taehyun's broken voice.

"Yes, Tae?"

"Do you still love him?"

"What," I hid under pretense, "Who?"

Taehyun detached himself from me and cut to the chase.

"Soobin-hyung."

"... yes."

Destiny truly wanted them to feel hurt, wanted to show them that the universe was incapable of making them happy.

"Why can't they just love us back?" Taehyun whispered.

"Because the world doesn't work that way," Kai replied.

Do you do what you did when you did with me?
Does he love you the way I can?

I was third wheeling yet again for Soobin and Beomgyu.

"Does it look good on me, Soobin-hyung?" Beomgyu asked, twirling in front of a full body mirror, trying on a trench coat that was too expensive, in my opinion. Not that either of them would mind.

"Of course it does, Beommie~" Soobin cooed, "Everything looks good on you, including me."

Beomgyu blushed, started to fumble for words and ended up smacking Soobin's shoulder.

You know what else looks better with you, Soobin-hyung? Me.

"Why did you go with them? You knew it was a date, Kai," Taehyun asked when I decided to call him.

"I've never missed an outing with Soobin."

I was balancing my phone between my cheek and shoulder. Beomgyu handed me yet another bag of clothing.

This was surely a mistake, I should've just stayed home, or helped Yeonjun with his dancing club—but no, I was too in love with Soobin to refuse his requests.