Chapter 26/Impulse

Start from the beginning

My attention snapped down to my wrist—I winced again, even a feathery light touch there felt like small needles being stabbed, the ache slowing traveling up to my arm. I was positive Feroze twisted my wrist, but Allhamdulillah I was fine, just the sharp pain was there which a pain relief could help with.

The tension was thick in the air. As the two brothers glowered at each other, I felt fear crawling up my legs and tugging on my knees, almost making me lose my balance. I felt tears threatening to spill again, but I battled them. I felt the urge to pull Aarib back, yet I didn't, knowing he wouldn't want that.

What was wrong with me, I wondered, why couldn't I just. . .not act so silly and foolishly?

Maybe I shouldn't have come here.

Maybe with time, I would stop regarding Feroze with such hatred. Such disgust.

I needed it.

Time.

Time to think. Time to ponder over my emotions, what was going on. Time to deal with my own demons. But I felt like everything was happening in quick events.

I rubbed my arms, wanting the chills to disappear.

"You," Feroze pointed an accusing finger at me. My throat clogged with uneasiness. "You watch your back, now, because there is no way you'll get away with it so easily."

And then he left the mansion, hurrying down the front steps and out of our sights.

I felt my bones chilling, an involuntary dread settling on my shoulders.

"You okay? Can I get you water?" Areesha cooed. "Come on, forget what just happened. He deserved that strike, trust me."

I offered her a smile that didn't quite reach my eyes. I wasn't even looking at her. I was just staring into space, until. . .until I heard him.

"Look at me."

The invisible tug to that voice was too strong, and my eyes immediately focused on Aarib who was staring down at me with hooded eyes. The quick rise and fall of his chest made me ponder if it was rage he felt, or the adrenaline. Or both. I felt like I was floating in those pools of blue hues. His eyes had a silent storm brimming inside them, yet at the same time, they were calm, reminding me of cloudless, warm summer days.

"Hey, snap out of it," he insisted. "Look at me." He snapped his fingers in my face.

I blinked.

"I am looking at you." I frowned.

"No, you were lost somewhere as you blankly stared at me," he corrected, almost accusing me of my behavior. "Where'd you go?"

Where'd I go?

I didn't know myself.

"Give us a minute. We'll join you guys in the back yard."

Sheru and Areesha left as per Aarib's command, leaving the two of us alone.

"Let me see," Aarib whispered and hesitantly brought his hand forward towards my wrist as if he wanted my approval before inspecting it.

"It's not much of a big deal. On our way back to the hotel we'll stop by a pharmacy and get an ointment, okay? Don't worry too much, handsome," I joked, though my tone was far from funny.

And Aarib wasn't buying my stalling, because he quirked a perfect brow my way, and confronted me with my horrible attempt at subject change.

Don't blame me, okay? I could hardly think through the foggy thoughts that swam in my head.

"I hate it break it to you, but you suck at hiding your emotions. You're like a book holding all the answers to your bizarre behavior, and most of the time you want me to know a few things that you otherwise wouldn't tell me."

I sighed. "Bizarre behavior?" There was a dull throb in my temples. I wanted to massage them.

A small smile played at the corners of his mouth. "Of all the things I said, of course, you ask about this." His fingers threaded through his hair, his eyes looking at the air around me. "You don't call me 'handsome'. Like, ever. That's not your usual way of talking, and that's how I knew something's wrong with you right now. You're not feeling okay, so we're getting out of here."

I didn't have enough time to protest as he grabbed my hand and began taking big strides out through the front door, barely giving me a second to adjust my footing, and match his pace.

Outside, the breeze still warm from the day curled around me. My heels hit the pavement too hard and fast and my legs tried to catch up with Aarib.

"Aarib! Slow down! We aren't leaving just yet!" I tried to express my opinion, but he just carried on without sparing me even a quick glance. "Aarib! Don't be unreasonable!" I tried my best to keep up with him, but I was afraid I would make a spectacle of myself by stepping on my own dress and falling on the ground. There weren't many people, save for about three or four security men, so that shouldn't be too embarrassing.

"Look, I didn't just get ready for no reason, stop." I continued. But it was useless.

The nerve of this man. . .he actually quickened his pace—we were full-on sprinting now.

"Will you just stop!" I yelled at the top of my voice, panting as my chest rose and fell too fast, too quick.

We came to a sudden halt and I collided with Aarib's back. Ow! What was wrong with him!

"You ever heard of the phrase 'slowly skidded to a halt'?" I muttered out loud.

Aarib froze.

"What's wrong?" My nerves rattled with uneasiness as I followed his eyes to the front of the gate where a figure stood, hidden by the shadows, but apparently Aarib recognized him, muttering something under his breath.

"Who's that?" I whispered, suddenly growing nervous as the figure started walking towards us with total ease and calm, the two things I wasn't feeling.

"Crap," Aarib muttered, raking a hand through his hair and fisting them midway. "Crap!"