Ch 1

A bar somewhere in a small town in New Mexico

I walk around the pool table, cue in hand as I look to see what shot I should take.

"Aye, Jimmy. 6, corner pocket." I nod leaning over and lining up my shot, the ball snaps loudly as it goes in making me smirk while I stand up straight.

"Aye, Ruby. How about another round?" I ask turning towards the bartender who's behind the counter, raising up my empty beer bottle.

"Bring some wings while you're at it." I add and she places a hand on her hip while the other leans on the counter.

"Are you actually gonna pay tonight?" She questions with a raised brow and I chuckle.

"Fred." I call out in a singing tone.

"Ruby, what did I tell you about charging her? She's a woman of service, anything she gets is on the house." The bar owner says making her sigh while I chuckle going back to the game to see that Jimmy took his shot.

"Hey it wasn't your turn." I tell him and he shrugs.

"You were too busy flirting with Ruby." He replies making me scoff.

Ruby comes over with her tray that held a basket of wings and another round of beers and places them on the empty table next to us.

"You're always here having drinks, shouldn't you be on duty or something?" She questions curiously placing her tray under her arm while she looks at me.

"Shouldn't you be behind the counter?" I retort with a raised brow and she narrows her eyes at me.

"Alright doll, you caught me. I'm undercover now Shh." I say opening my new beer.

"Undercover but wearing your uniform?" She chuckles motioning up and down at my black uniform with her index finger.

"Are you like the FBI or something?" I ask with a cock of my head.

"No bu-

"Then don't worry your pretty little head about what I'm doing." I tell her making her roll her eyes and she walks away while Jimmy chuckles.

"Come on it's your turn." He nudges me.

"Hold up lemme have a wing I know Ruby made with love!" I say the last part loud enough for her to hear.

"Oh bite me!" She calls back.

"Just tell me where!" I wink making Jimmy crack up and Ruby shake her head.

"Fine then I'm going to take a leak." Jimmy says setting his cue down walking to the corner of the bar where the restrooms were.

I go to reach into the basket of wings when my phone rings on the table making me look over to it.