𝐱𝐱𝐱𝐯. the dreams of the dead

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄 — the dreams of the dead

━━━━━━━

𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐘𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐒𝐄𝐄𝐌𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐎 be moving along just fine. No witches overstepped their boundaries, the wolves stayed in the bayou, the vampires fed on tourists and simply healed them and compelled them to forget moments after, and the humans did what humans do... Stay blissfully unaware of the monsters lurking in the streets.

This night was as quiet as ever, and Ophelia seemed to be the only person in the compound to still be awake; granted it was three in the morning.

As ever, the siphon had been tucked away within Elijah's office as she scoured the hundreds of books that lined the walls; some were old and worn, others new and pristine. Some were books she had read and recognized easily, others entirely new to her, and so, the second she found a book about witches, she snatched it up, threw herself onto the couch and delved in.

Yes, Ophelia hated to be associated with witches... But their blood was in her veins, no matter how much she tried to deny it. She used magic just as they did... Though obtaining it in a very different manner, of course.

The history of witches, no matter her burning hatred, was fascinating. Their supposed origin — which was entirely false as of course, she had the real information straight from the horses... Stag's mouth —, the Salem witch trials as well as other old stories and 'spells'.

The cover of the book had been pulled open at around nine in the evening, and in all honesty, Ophelia hadn't noticed just how late it was; she could just about recall when Nik had popped his head in to say goodnight and scoff at the book she was reading, as well as Elijah passing her by, gently squeezing her shoulder as he muttered his own parting words, his touch lingering just as they always seemed to be, as of late.

She'd noticed, of course. Ophelia was an observant woman, and when an original vampire's touch lingered, well it was hard to ignore; especially when it was Elijah, a man who didn't often show such gestures.

Her own lingered also; fingers tangling together for short moments of comfort, light taps of the arm, unnecessary closeness. It was as plain as day to a fair few people; Nik being one of them.

It seemed that the hybrid delighted when such touches would occur; his brows would raise, his eyes would narrow, and that rather infuriating grin of his would light up his face with all the smugness in the world. He made short comments here and there; teasing comments.

The two brushed them away with averting eyes and parting touches, both entirely unable to explain themselves... Both unable to fathom that they could show affection.