Shinsou narrowed his eyes at the boy opposite and rolled up the parchment, tucking it into his belt, "We should head out."

"Already?" Kaminari whined, "But we just sat down."

"We need to get some distance before sundown, that way we can find a safe place to camp for the night." The chair creaked against the wooden floor as Shinsou stood up and picked up his things.

(Y/n) followed suit, drinking what was left of her ale, while Kaminari drank Shinsou's discarded one, before grabbing her satchel and throwing the strap over her shoulder.

The three of them exited the tavern and made their way through the small marketplace, eyeing up the stalls.

Kaminari threw his hands behind his head as he walked. His gaze kept lingering on the many food stalls that they idly walked by. The first was just beyond the clearing, and (Y/n) had already noticed some sand blowing over now and again. By tomorrow morning they would hopefully reach the desert, then it would be a long walk back to the place that (Y/n) had started.

"How much food do we have left?"

"Just enough to last us the trip to Elmont. That is if we don't run into any trouble along the way." Shinsou replied as (Y/n) glanced at the hungry look on Kaminari's face.

"We should stock up, especially for Elmont. The Capitol is pretty far for most villages and towns, so we won't have time to buy anything once we get past that point. Plus, we need to be careful around the town. King Enji had been recruiting more guards a few weeks before I ran, and was sending them out to the towns - even small villages such as Bleakbury were receiving more guards than usual, so there's no saying how many will be there once we return."

The boys nodded in agreement. Kaminari pulled out his coin bag and began to count his gold while Shinsou started to search for suitable places to buy food that would last them another couple of weeks.

His eyes landed on a small stall full of different kinds of meat and various traps, "We should buy snares too. That way we can hunt on the journey."

"For once I agree with him." Kaminari began to stroll over to a merchant selling different kinds of cheese.

The man and the stall smiled warmly at him as he walked over, striking up useless small talk as Kaminari peered through the different types that the man was selling.

(Y/n) flinched when a warm breath ghosted against her ear, "I'll take first watch tonight. Meet with me when Sparks over there falls asleep."

Shinsou's deep voice caused a cocky smile to appear on (Y/n)'s lips, "So very forward." She mumbled, tilting her head slightly so that she could catch his gaze out of the corner of her eye.

His face remained stoic, though he raised his eyebrow to match her mischievous grin.

"Easy there, Kitty. I just want to help you you memorise a few words in that little book of yours."

Subconsciously, (Y/n) felt her hand travel down to her satchel. Her fingers looped around the knot that held it together and she cast her gaze down.

"I can't practice without... consequences."

Karma. Shinsou, as well as anyone who had ever heard of witches, knew that they couldn't cast a spell without repercussions.

"Why not pass it onto me?" Shinsou suggested, brushing away the hair that fell in her face.

(Y/n) swallowed, "I can't."

"Why not?" He pressed on, "I can handle it."

Her head shook, "I won't. It goes against my morals. I don't want anyone to suffer because of something I've done; not like my kind did before. Not like-" (Y/n) paused and watched as Kaminari shoved the now bought cheese into his bag and turn around to walk back over, "I won't make that mistake again."