In The Clouds

Katara stood up, intending to go back to her own room.
     "Sweet dreams, Toph." She said softly.
     On her way there, she came across Zuko, who was also going to his room.
     "Katara! I was just on my way inside," said Zuko. "Would you go for a game of Pai Sho?"
     "I'd love to." Katara said. Zuko opened the door to his room, and let Katara inside.
     There was a Pai Sho table in the corner, with two floor pillows on each side. Katara sat down, and Zuko did the same on the other side. They arranged the tiles, and started playing.
     "I remember when I though Pai Sho was just a game." Zuko told Katara. "Imagine what was going on in my head when I found out about the White Lotus."
     Katara laughed along with Zuko.
     "I was a lost soul back then. So many bad mistakes." Zuko said.
     "But those mistakes turned into lessons," said Katara. "Learning from them made you a brave man, and an excellent leader."
     "I tried my best." Zuko smiled, while placing a tile down on the board.
     "The Agni Kai was your final test," she said, moving one tile. "The battle for the throne."
     "It's not something I like to remember."
     "It's not something anyone likes to remember."
     "Battling my sister was one of the hardest things I had to do. I had hoped there was a better way."
     "I know, dear. You would have loved it if you and your sister came out of all of that happily."
     "I had hope for Azula. Sadly, our parents took a toll on her. Her mind spiralled further away from sanity." He said, making another move. "What's more pleasant to remember, however, is what happened before the Agni Kai."
     Katara raised her gaze from the Pai Sho board, and looked at Zuko.
     "You mean when we arrived at the camp of the White Lotus?" She asked. Although, she felt it was something else.
     "Well, not exactly what was in mind." Zuko looked at Katara, and smiled. "Come on, Katara. Don't tell me you forgot. What you said to me back then inspired me for years to come."

—————

     Zuko and Katara were riding on Appa on their way to the Fire Nation Capital. The scenery was beautiful. A red sky above them, and a vast sea below. They would have enjoyed it if only they weren't in such dire circumstances.
     The two teenagers were seated together on Appa's back. Looking in the direction they were going with much determination in their hearts.
     "Don't you want to rest a bit?" Katara asked Zuko.
     "I have plenty of strength. Besides, it's not strength that will defeat Azula." Zuko said, looking far beyond the horizon. "It's strategy."
     "Aren't you scared?" She asked with growing concern.
     "Of course I am. I'm about to battle my sister for the throne." He told her. "But nobody else will step up and take the role. This is my destiny."
     "You know, just because it's your destiny doesn't mean you have to face it alone. That's the whole reason I'm here."
     Katara put a hand on his arm. Zuko gazed at her as she continued speaking.
     "The reason we've made it this far is because we never gave up hope. We valued teamwork and cooperation. As my Gran-gran told us before we left the South Pole, our destinies are intertwined with one another. We do this together."
     Zuko looked towards the approaching comet. Teamwork was never something he did. His whole life, he thought he had to do things alone. He was taught that the greatest victories weren't to be shared with someone else. But now he knew he had it all wrong.
     "I believe in you, Zuko. I see that you've changed. I understand that you lost your way. But now you have found it, and you're doing good so far. We will defeat Azula. You will become firelord."
     "Becoming firelord isn't what's worrying me. It's what I'm gonna do after. I was banished for three years. I made many bad choices. I did horrible things. What if I turn out to be an even worse firelord than my father?"
     "You won't. If I know anything about you, it's that you don't fail."
     "I don't fail? What are you saying, Katara? Didn't I try to kill you and everyone else the past year?"
     Katara crawled to Appa's neck. She bent down, and asked Appa to go higher. Appa did, and in a few seconds, they were in the clouds.
     The sky looked magnificent. The stars were clearer now. The heavens felt close enough to touch. Katara went back to Zuko.
     "I agree, you did make a lot of bad decisions, but you learned from them, Zuko. You learned from your mistakes. The bad decisions weren't failures, they're lessons. You only fail if you don't learn anything from it."
     Katara smiled at Zuko. Zuko looked around. This was a once in a lifetime view.
     "So you see? I don't see you as a failure because I don't think you failed. Months ago, I wouldn't believe it if someone told me that I'd be sitting above the clouds with you, looking at the stars. But you're a different man now. And I think this man in front of me is going to be a great firelord."
     "Thank you, Katara." Zuko felt truly grateful for having someone like Katara. Somehow, Katara always knew what to say. He wondered what his life would have been like if he had met her sooner.
     Zuko and Katara looked at each other for a moment, and Zuko leaned in and hugged her. Katara was happy she was able to help. She knew becoming firelord just like that wouldn't be an easy task, but she knew she would be there to help him every step of the way.
     They were wrapped in each other's arms, giving each other their last sense of comfort before they both had to face what was coming next. Up in the stars, flying among the clouds; this truly was a celestial moment.
     Once they let go of each other, the feeling of determination set back in. A sense of purpose.
     "We should go back down. It's gonna get harder to breathe in a while." Katara said. She went back near Appa's head and told him to go back down. "Don't worry. The fire nation will love you."
Although they never realised it, that was the moment they fell in love.

—————

     "Making me understand the difference between bad decisions and failure was the greatest thing you did for me. I relied on that advice until the very last day of being firelord." Zuko said with pride.
     "Well I'm glad I was able to help."
     "So am I."
     "I won," said Katara. Zuko was examining the Pai Sho board, trying to understand what he did wrong.
     "Alright." He said, accepting defeat.
     "Well, this was fun, but I must return to my room now." Katara said, standing up.
     "Yes, well, see you later then." Zuko said, getting up as well. He walked over to the door with her, and held it open for her. Katara walked out, and headed to her own room.