Fireflies

Opal had walked in just in time to hear Jinora ask about the fireflies. Once she sat beside Jinora, she asked about it too, being curious about that story.
     "Zuko took you out to see fireflies?"
     "Yes, well, I caught Katara sneaking out one night." Zuko said.
     "That was the night of the play about us. I was confused. I wanted to take a midnight stroll along the beach. Zuko saw me sneaking out." Katara said. The two kids leaned in, very eager to hear this tale.
     "He asked me what I was doing, and I said that I was just a little troubled, and that I wanted to take a little walk. He offered to come along. I enjoyed the company. We took a walk by the beach. I told him what was worrying me. I was worried about the war. If Aang could defeat Firelord Ozai. I didn't know if we could win. Zuko didn't really have much to say, but he was a good listener."

—————

     Katara removed her shoes to feel the sand on her feet. Zuko did the same. They walked along the beach, feeling the waves come back and forth on their feet. She felt the wind flowing through her hair. The moon was so beautiful that night.
     "Well, whatever happens, we will win. I know it." Zuko assured Katara.
     "How could you be so sure?"
     "Because the world will be in great imbalance if not. My uncle told me that the Fire Nation became too ambitious. My father wants to rule the world. We can't let him win."
     Zuko wasn't sure if what he said made Katara feel better or worse. He wished he didn't say it like that. She was silent for a few minutes. It made Zuko nervous.
     "How 'bout that play earlier, huh?" She finally said.
     "The worst."
     "I know! That writer is going to be in trouble if I ever meet him."
     They both laughed.
     "And what about that part with you and me. Can you believe it? You and me?" Katara said.
     "Yeah. Imagine that." Zuko replied awkwardly. There was silence for a few moments, until he suggested to go somewhere else.
     "Come with me. There's something I want to show you."
     Katara waterbended the water off their feet, and they shook off the sand. They put their shoes back on, and Zuko lead Katara over a hill.
     There were fireflies dancing around the open area. Katara ran towards them, and stood in the middle, watching the fireflies. She had a wide smile on her face, and she had momentarily forgotten about all her troubles.
     Zuko stood near by, watching Katara with a smile on his face too. Arms crossed, just watching her.
     "They're beautiful."
     "Actually, Katara. This isn't what I was going to show you."
     "It's not?"
     "Follow me."
     Zuko led her into a wooded area. There were lots of trees, some vines. There was grass all around. Plants sprang from the ground. They walked for a minute or two until she saw what he meant to show her.
     There was a clearing in the trees. A pond appeared in the middle. Five lamp posts surrounded the body of water, appearing that it's meant to be lit by a firebender.
     "Wow!" Katara said, looking around, exploring the area.
     "I used to come here as a kid. I practiced my aim here, trying to light the five lamp posts. Actually, I did a similar thing back in Ba Sing Se. But, tonight, I have a different idea. Wait here. I'll be back soon."
     Katara stood alone by the pond, waiting for Zuko to return. She looked at the flowers, and the water. It had been about six minutes until she noticed it was getting brighter.
     Zuko came back, walking slowly, flickering a flame in his palms, luring in the swarm of fireflies. Once all the fireflies arrived, they started dancing around the pond, flickering their lights. Zuko rejoined Katara.
     "It's really beautiful." Katara said.
     "It really is." Zuko agreed.
     "Thank you. I'm really glad I brought you along."
     "It's nothing, really."
     Katara leaned in to hug Zuko. They hugged for a long moment. Katara looked up, and locked her eyes with Zuko's. They stared into each other's eyes for a few seconds, and they kissed.
     It was a beautiful moment. Katara and Zuko stood by the pond, holding each other, lost in a kiss. Fireflies surrounded them, giving the sense that there was magic in the air. In that moment, they forgot all their worries. All their responsibilities seemed to have faded away.
     But as soon the moment ended, and they stopped kissing, a huge amount of awkwardness set in. They let go of each other, and jumped back.
     "Oh, uhhh..." Katara managed to say, blushing intensely.
     "Uhhhm," said Zuko, who was looking away.
     "We– we should probably head back." Katara said.
     "Yea– Yeah. Yes. We should do that." Zuko said, almost immediately.
     The two quickly walked back to the house in silence, not saying a word until they got back inside. They barely even looked at each other.
     "Well, goodnight then!" Katara said, walking to her room, and closing the door.
     "Goodnight!" Zuko said too, doing the same.
     The two didn't even bother to look at each other before parting ways. They just went straight to their rooms and went to bed. Of course, neither of them fell asleep right away. They just laid there, thinking about their evening. They still felt awkward in the morning, but neither of them spoke about it again until years after.

—————

"And we watched the fireflies, then went home after." Katara said, ending her story.
"That's it?" Jinora said, sounding disappointed. "You didn't kiss him?"
"Oh, no. We were just friends." Katara lied to her granddaughter.
"But it was so romantic!" Opal said. "I hope Bolin does something like that for me."
"It must've been beautiful!" Jinora told Opal. "Imagine that."
"Is the pond still there? Is it still inhabited by fireflies?" Jinora asked, thinking about visiting it herself.
"I don't know, actually. I haven't been there since." Zuko said.
"I don't believe you didn't kiss tough." Jinora said.
"How could you not kiss? It was perfect."
Opal added.
The door slammed open, just then. Tenzin came through.
"Opal, your mother wants to speak to you. Jinora! You too, come on." Tenzin demanded.
Jinora and Opal stood up, and bid the elderly couple goodbye.
"Sorry for that, Mother, Lord Zuko." Tenzin said respectfully.
"Not to worry. We had fun." Zuko said, and smiled.