"No."

Last Chapter

I spun the bottle viciously, sending it flying in circles.

I closed my eyes, wanting for this to be over with so I could nurture my hurt feelings alone.

"Hell. Yes." Bryce laughed in disbelief.

"Dixie," Charli whispered, and I opened my eyes.

The bottle lay flat, pointing directly at Addison.

Dixie's POV

"No."

"What do you mean no? Yes! Kiss her!" Chase cheered.

I stepped back, defensively crossing my arms over my chest. "I said no."

All eyes stared at me, but deep brown eyes pierced the side of my face.

"Why not? I kissed Charli," Avani said.

"Addi, do the lap thing, Dixie, sit down!" Chase clapped, enjoying himself in the prospect of girl-on-girl action.

My head was spinning and I felt faint. I could feel her gaze burning into my side profile, and I directed my own at Charli pleadingly.

"Dixie's right. This game is getting old. And Chase is getting too horny. I don't want him knocking on my door in the middle of the night tonight."

"Too late. That's definitely happening," Chase laughed.

Charli left the circle, looping her arm through mine and pulling me up the stairs.

I sat down on the edge of her bed and cried. I cried for my heart, which had went numb at seeing Bryce and Addison together. I cried for my ignorance, for thinking that everything was going to be okay. I cried for myself, for my confusion.

Charli clung to my side, holding me as I wept, rocking me side to side, the way our mom had done when we were little.

Images of Addison straddling Bryce's lap were seared into my brain. Her lips touching his, pressing against his in a way that had never touched mine.

"Fuck," I choked, wiping my eyes with my hoodie sleeves.

Charli pressed a kiss to my temple, still throbbing with emotion.

I let out a shaky breath, resting my head in her neck. "I think something's wrong with me."

"Nothing is wrong with you," she whispered, "You're allowed to have feelings."

"I think I have the wrong feelings."

"There's no such thing," she stroked my hair, "I know something almost happened between you and Addison."

"It doesn't matter now."

"Says who?"

"Me. We had 'almost'. Her and Bryce had a complete make out session in the living room."

Addison's POV

The game had fizzled out after the D'Amelios left, so we all retreated to our rooms for the night. I curled up in my bed, a frown wrinkling my brow.

"No." I heard her voice in my head, repeating the firm word over and over.

She didn't want to kiss me. She was so repulsed by the idea that she literally quit the game.

I pressed my face into the pillow, hot tears welling in my eyes. 

2 AM

Addison's POV

The room was lit a dark, dim blue, LED lights lined across my ceiling leaving a soft glow across the room.

The door creaked open quietly.

I didn't dare turn over.

Soft footsteps approached my bed.

I closed my eyes, pretending to sleep.

I felt her watching. Waiting.

A hand brushed against my forehead, pushing my hair gently from my face.

My heart beat wildly as I tried to keep my breaths steady.

She stood for a moment longer, looking at me in the deep blue of the night.

Then, the air mattress squeaking, sheets being pulled up.

"Goodnight," I heard her whisper, my body relaxing and falling, into a deep, dark sleep.