My breath seems to catch in my throat. He's aged rather terribly, having garnered a lot of wrinkles around his eyes and mouth. He has a scruffy beard with patches of grey. His eyes are slightly blood shot, as if he hasn't had a good night sleep in years. I shift uncomfortably on the bench, not wanting to stare but unable to look away.

Jake scrambles to his feet and they stare at each other. I could cut the tension with a knife. My eyes flicker back and forth between them.

"You got tall," AJ says gruffly, making no effort to reach out to him. He sits, his eyes looking to me. "Who are you?"

My hands ball into fists to the point my nails bite into my skin. My father is dead because of what he did and he has the audacity to sit before me and ask me who I am.

"Callum," I spit at him. "Ellie's brother."

The corner of his lip twitches as he stares at me, taking note of the hostility in my voice.

"Right," he says dismissively, turning to Jake. "So, after all these years, you've decided to come see me."

Jake looks ghostly white as he sits beside me. "Yep."

"Why now?"

He shrugs. "Been thinking about it for a while. Saw Debra yesterday."

AJ flinches, his eyes snapping open widely. "Your mother?"

"Yeah."

"She reached out to you?"

"Yeah."

AJ runs his fingers over his chin. Dirt is piled underneath them.

"Don't get used to her being around, kid. She'll only ever let you down," he huffs, shaking his head.

"Don't worry, I'm used to that from the both of you," Jake replies back in a somewhat emotionless tone.

AJ's lip twitches again. I can't tell if he's battling a smile or a smirk. Either gesture would infuriate me if he let it through.

"How's your brother?" AJ asks.

"He's doing really good," Jake answers.

"Still with that girl?" he asks, his eyes flickering to mine momentarily.

"Yeah he is."

I look up at the roof. This visit is more painful and awkward than I imagined it would be.

"Mm," AJ hums.

"I'm doing fine," Jake continues with an edge to his voice. "Thanks for asking."

"I can see that."

"Are you?"

"Am I what?" he asks, leaning back in his seat.

"Doing fine?"

AJ lets out a wheezy breath-laugh. "Sure, son. I'm doing fine."

"You never wrote to me or tried to call," Jake murmurs and I look to him, surprised at the vulnerability laced in his voice.

AJ looks at him, too, curiosity in his bright eyes. "And you never visited."

"I was just a kid," he whispers. "I needed my dad."

"You didn't need shit," he snaps. "Don't depend on others and don't rely on them. That's the first thing in life you learn, kid."

Jake's eyes harden as he takes in his words. "Right."

Without thinking, I reach out and touch a hand to his shoulder tenderly.

"What the fuck is this?" AJ bursts, startling me. His eyes flare as he stares at my hand. "You a fucking queer, kid?"