Chapter Twenty-Four

Jace's POV

When we found out about Sebastian, Val immediately called the detective on her case. He came over with a few other cops and tried to run a trace on Clary's phone to track Sebastian.

"Jace, the detective needs to question Clary. Is she okay to do it?" Jon asked. Clary was laid on top of me, silently crying into my neck.

"Clare. Baby, can you do it? Answer the detective's questions?" I asked, petting her hair to soothe her.

"Y-Yes." She whispered.

"She can do it." He nodded and let the man in.

Clary rolled off of me and sat up against the headboard of her bed. "Hello, Clary. I wish we could've met again on better circumstances. Are you ready to answer some questions?"

"Would it be better if I just let you hear the call?"

"Yes. Can you do that?"

"If you give me my phone." He handed the phone to her. "I have it set up to record all of my conversations. Just in case something like this were to happen." She handed him the phone and he pressed play.

"Hello, Clarissa." Clary's terrified gasp was heard through the recording. "I've missed you, my pet. How could you leave me like that?" When she didn't answer, he kept going. "It does not matter. I will have you back soon. I'm coming for you. Have your bags packed to come home. Goodnight, pet."

And, that was it.

"Is it alright if I take your phone with me to the station? I'll bring it back in a few days." The detective asked Clary.

"That's fine. But, he won't be happy if someone other than me answers that phone."

"I understand. Have a good night, Clary." He left and it was just Clary, Jon, Val, and I in the room.

"How are you talking so well?" Val asked Clary, but she didn't look up at him.

"I've been able to talk the whole time. I just didn't want to."

"Why not?"

"Because, if you found out that I could talk, you'd want me to tell you what happened while I was with him and I'm not ready for that. I don't want to tell anyone."

"I only wanted to hear my baby girl's voice. I would never ask you to tell me what happened unless I knew you were ready."

"I'm sorry for lying, then."

"It's okay, princess. I understand why you did it. Do you want to go back to sleep now?"

"I can't. Not now. It's already five and that's usually when I get up. Plus, he'd be haunting my dreams, so no. I don't want to go to sleep."

"Okay. How about I start on breakfast then?" She nodded to Val and he looked to me, seeking confirmation that I'm staying. I gave him a short nod and him and Jon left.

"Jace?"

"Yeah?" I looked down at her.

"Is it too soon to go back to school?"

"No. Not if you feel that you're ready to go back. We'll all be there to help you."

"I'm scared that my dad won't let me go. He's too scared that Sebastian will take me back. Especially if I'm not at home or anywhere near him."

"It's understandable. You were missing for two years. It makes sense that he doesn't want to let you out of his sight."

Every time her shirt rode up, even a little, I could see the bruises covering her stomach. It made me feel sick that someone could do that to her.

"I know. Will you help me talk to him?"

"I think my mom would be better at that. Do you want me to call her?"

"Yes, please."

I grabbed my cell and called my mom. "Hello?"

"Hey, mom. Clary wants to know if you'll help her with something."

"Of course. What is it?"

"She wants to go back to school, but she's worried that her dad won't let her. Would you mind talking to Val about it?"

"Yeah, sure. We're all coming over for breakfast, so I'll talk to him then."

"Okay, thanks. Bye." I hung up and turned to Clary. "She said she'd help. They're coming over for breakfast."

"Good. I should probably get dressed then. If I'm not out in ten minutes, go grab Jon or dad to help me."

I laughed and helped her up onto the crutches. "Got it." She disappeared into the closet and shut the door.

"Jace." Jon walked in.

"Yeah?"

"Come out here." I stood and followed him into the hallway. Val was waiting for us.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"I know how Clary is." Val spoke. "She's gonna want to get back to school and out into the world, but I think we need to test it out in a controlled environment first."

"Meaning?"

"Her birthday is in a few weeks. I think we should throw her a surprise birthday party. Get her around people." Val said, clearly very excited.

I like this idea.

"Okay. So, what do you need from me?"

"That day, I'm gonna need you to take her out so that we can get the house decorated. Can you do that?"

"Yeah, I can handle that. Just let me know what time to bring her home and what she should wear. Maybe, I'll take her to the mall."

"That'd be great. Thanks, Jace."

"Anytime. And, Clary does want to go back to school, by the way. But, she thinks you're gonna say no so she asked my mom to talk to you about it at breakfast."

"Thanks for the warning. We'll discuss it." Val said. "Breakfast will be done in twenty."

"Got it."

Hours later, we were all sitting in the living room watching a movie. Clary was all cuddled up into my side because Jon picked a scary movie.

Every once in a while, she would squeak and hide her face in my chest when an especially scary part came on. It was fucking adorable.

I don't think she realizes how much I really missed her.

After she'd fallen asleep in my arms again, I kissed her head.

"You're beautiful, Clary." I whispered and she clutched my shirt tighter. "Goodnight, baby."

I wish I could stay here forever........