Chapter Eleven

Clary's POV

A month later and I'm back on my feet, but only for short periods of time during the day. I still get headaches, which is normal, and dizzy when I stand up too fast.

Jon and dad have been coddling me, doing every little thing for me and as much as I love being pampered, I also like to do things on my own.

Without help. But, they haven't quite picked up on that yet and I don't want to hurt their feelings.

Now, I was sitting in one of my little hiding spots downstairs, a little window seat kind of thing, but it's hidden by long white curtains. You could see me from out back, but not from inside the house. Unless you were looking.

I had my headphones on, blaring my rock music while I drew with my left hand, not my dominate hand, and held a cigarette with my right, the window cracked

My bruises have started to heal, along with my incision, but I still had to wear a beanie for a while. Unless I wanted to show it off to the world. Which, I don't.

I looked up and to my left when the curtain was pulled back and Jace stood there. He gestured to my headphones, so I let them rest around my neck as I paused the song.

"Need something?" I asked.

"I was looking for Jonathan, wanted to return his cd." He held up my Fall Out Boy album.

"That's mine."

"Oh. Well, here then." I took it from him and set it up above me on a shelf. "You mind if I hang out for a while? I'm pretty sure mom and dad and doing a little something at home that I don't quite want to see or hear." I shrugged and he sat down across from me.

"Where's Max?" I asked, returning to my drawing and taking a drag from my cigarette before blowing the smoke out the open window.

"At the park with a friend." I nodded. "Does your dad know that you smoke?" I laughed lightly.

"Who do you think buys them for me?"

"Why does he let you smoke? You're fifteen. My mom would flip shit if she caught me with a cigarette."

"He knows that they help to calm me down and not much else can do that. So, cigarettes."

"Calm you down for what?"

"I have issues, anxiety is one of them, it helps me not be completely freaked out all day."

"Freaked out about what, though?"

"You ask too many questions." I laughed.

"Well, I wouldn't have to ask you so many questions if other people would answer them, but things are all kinds of secretive when it comes to asking something about you. So, had to go straight to the source."

"Aaahh!" The front door opened and closed and Max soon came into view, so I put out my cigarette.

He looked over at us and ran for me, hugging me, his face hidden in my neck.