Ch. 17

Marinette was frantically searching her bag for food. Even a morsel would be helpful. Tikki's stomach growled.

"I'm out! All the food is completely gone! Why didn't I put more food in there earlier!" Marinette groaned.

"Can we get some at your house?" Tikki suggested.

"It's too far! We'll never make it in time!" Marinette whined. Then an idea struck her. "We can ask some of the spectators for some food! I'm sure they'll have some!" She turned and sprinted to the Eiffel Tower. It took a few minutes to get there, but she finally made it. Panting, Marinette made her way through the large crowd.

"Excuse me, sir, but do you have any food with you?" She asked one man politely. He frowned at her and walked away.

"Well that was rude." She grumbled to herself. She continued asking people, but no one had any food. Marinette was growing frantic. She decided to take a small break and check on the team before she resumed her search, so she elbowed her way to the front.

Cat Noir and Hawk Moth were dueling in the middle of the square. Marinette gasped as Cat Noir barely avoided a blow to the head. They fought so intensely they were blurs at times, but they both held their ground.

Suddenly someone yelled, and the crowd's heads swiveled toward the voice. Emilie was leaning on Rena Rouge, and her unexpected arrival had left everyone in shock.

Hawk Moth had forgotten about Cat Noir. Instead, he was walking toward his long lost wife.

Soon the couple was running at each other, and they embraced. Hawk Moth threw down his miraculous and kissed Emilie. The crowd began to cheer, Marinette let out a loud whoop of her own, as they saw that Paris's villain was gone.

Marinette scanned the faces of all who had helped Ladybug and Cat Noir. Pegasus and King Monkey, along with others who weren't there, had helped them prevail time and time again. Rena Rouge and Carapace were heroes 'till the end, and Ladybug knew she could count on them to always be there. Then her gaze fell on Cat Noir. He meant so much to her in ways she could never describe. He loved her through all her faults and failures. He encouraged her ambitious dreams, comforted her when she needed it, and reigned her in when she'd gone astray. He was everything she could ever ask for and more.

Suddenly Marinette had no idea why she let all her fears get in the way and told him no, but she knew she had to fix it. She pushed her way through the few people in front of her. When she burst through she sprinted toward Cat Noir. He turned around just in time to catch her as she barreled into him. She gave him a tight hug as he spun her around.

"What's got you so worked up, Princess? Is it my incredibly charming looks?" He teased.

Marinette was amazed he could tease at such a time as this, but it only made her love him more.

"I love you, Cat Noir." She told him.

His beautiful green eyes widened. Then he smiled. "I love you too, Princess." He leaned down and kissed her. A hundred butterflies exploded into being as their lips touched. Marinette had finally found her prince, and she didn't want the moment to end.

Cat Noir gently pulled away from her, but he brought her into his arms for a warm hug. Marinette wanted so badly to snuggle into him, to forget everything else, but she knew they had a situation that needed attending to. After a moment she reluctantly pulled away.

Cat Noir took Marinette's hand, and their fingers intertwined as they turned their attention to Gabriel Agreste.

"I'm sorry." Gabriel said. The crowd was quiet, not even the pigeons chirped, as they waited for Cat Noir's response.

"I understand why you did what you did." He said slowly and clearly. "But that doesn't mean it was right. You terrorized all of Paris, so I'll let the people decide what to do with you."

Gabriel bowed his head, and Cat Noir turned to the crowd. "What should his punishment be?" He asked them.

They were quiet, stunned that their hero would ask something so important of them.

"Mercy!" One man yelled.

"No more powers!" Someone else shouted. The crowd began to chime their agreement until there was a constant roar of 'have no powers but have mercy.' Cat Noir smiled his approval, and held a hand up for quiet. The roar died down, and he turned his attention to Gabriel.

"Your city has had mercy on you, Gabriel, and for that you shall ever be in debt to them. But, they did take away one thing from you." He walked closer to Gabriel with Marinette by his side the whole time. Cat Noir held out his hand.

"Your miraculous, please."

Emilie, though she had no part in the punishment, unhooked her hair piece and placed it in Cat Noir's hand.

"My time as a superhero is over. It's your turn now." She told him with a smile. Her gaze seemed to include Marinette, but the girl pushed the ridiculous thought away.

Gabriel reached to get his miraculous, then remembered he had thrown it down when Emilie had appeared. He looked around at the ground.

"I don't know..." He began.

"Looking for this?" Lila Rossi asked as she held up the moth miraculous.

Cat Noir let go of Marinette's hand and took up a fighting stance. "Drop it now, Lila." He growled.

Lila smiled. "Hmm, let me think about it... no!" She pinned the miraculous onto her chest, and Nooroo appeared.

"What's the key phrase?" She asked as Cat Noir and the other heroes sprinted toward her.

"I don't..." Nooroo began.

"Tell me!" Lila commanded. Nooroo must've said it because in the next instant Lila transformed. By the time the transformation was complete, the heroes were upon her. She jumped up and did a backflip over them. They ran into each other and toppled. Cat Noir recovered first and chased after Lila, but the girl had already disappeared.

Marinette ran up to Cat Noir and placed a hand gently on his arm. "Don't worry, Kitty. W- you and Ladybug will get her."

Cat Noir nodded. "I just wish we could enjoy peace for a bit." He looked back at Gabriel and Emilie. Marinette followed his gaze.

"They'll be okay." She said. He nodded, then turned to her with his quirky smile.

"So, does this mean I can call you my girlfriend?" He asked.

"Hmm. I don't know, Kitty. Does it?"

He smiled and leaned down to kiss her. She kissed him back.

"I believe it does." He decided.