Chapter Sixty One

Start from the beginning

"We get a little money each month from the state for you. It's not a lot, but we also don't really need it to cover day to day expenses, so we've put it in a college fund."

"You have?"

"Yep, and we add to it at Christmas and on your birthday. My parents, Lucia, and Catalina make contributions as well."

A smile tugged at MJ's lips. "I have a college fund?"

"It's not large enough to cover Harvard... it's not even enough to cover state school, but it's a start and we can do more once we see what scholarships you do receive."

"You think I'll receive enough scholarships?"

Katherine grinned with her nod. "There's not a doubt in my mind."

"Ever the optimist." MJ chuckled, taking her bowl to the sink, quickly leaving the kitchen so she could get ready to spend one of her last days of summer with Isabel.

They were seated at a restaurant around the corner from Katherine's parents new place. Natalie and William had officially moved into the apartment the week before, but Natalie had yet to invite Katherine to the place to see the renovations she'd had done. Katherine hadn't pushed, she knew her mother well enough to know she wanted to be completely unpacked before having anyone over.

"How are you two settling in?" Rafael asked once the waiter had taken their drink orders.

"The location is great. I've already found an independent bookstore that has all sorts of hard to find editions and the owner said he can source out things if I'm looking for something specific." William smiled.

"Three bedrooms and one is dedicated to his books," Natalie muttered.

MJ on the other hand lit up at the idea of Williams haphazard piles of books being shifted to a location closer to her. "You can just throw a cot in that room for when I sleep over."

Natalie harrumphed slightly. "You'll have a proper room to sleep in, not a cot crammed into the corner of his room of books."

"Every wall is covered in bookshelves and there's a large chair just for reading closer to one corner." William smiled at MJ. "You'd love it."

"I take it you've had to downsize." Katherine took a sip of the mimosa that was placed in front of her.

"I've had to downsize..." Natalie took a sip of her own mimosa looking rather perturbed at her husband.

"Everything is yours, all I have are my books and clothes."

"He has a point." Katherine chuckled.

Natalie eyed them both. "He could have parted with a few books..."

"I would find it easier to choose a favorite child."

Katherine snickered, shaking her head at her father. "You only have one child."

"Star in the sky then?" William smirked.

"You told me your favorite star was the sun because it provided our ability to survive as a species."

"When did you start actually listening to the things I say?"

Katherine chuckled again. "I've always listened to you, I just chose to selectively let you know I was listening."

"Yes... so you can use it against me when opportunity arise." William grumbled.

She smiled at her father, but mostly because he knew she was teasing him, and that he didn't actually care.