14 // Champions of the Grump

Magsimula sa umpisa

"You reminded me of my daughters," he finally shared. His brows furrowed, maybe because of my peskiness. Maybe, but we're not exactly sure.

I almost gaped. "What? Then, why do you look so miserable seeing me? Like I'm a dementor or something."

"Because I hate them kids."

"What?!" I errupted. "Just... wow! I can't even... I... Are you being serious, Jerry?"

"No."

Kinagat ko labi ko at nagpanggap na mang-aamba. Tumayo ako at inayos-ayos ang manggas ko. "You have a prob, huh? Let's fight! C'mon, Jer! Fight me!"

Hindi niya ako pinansin. I was still sporting a Manny Pacman kinda jog as I did mini-punches stuff while he pushed his finished food container to the side and sat on his own bar stool.

"I love 'em all, kid. Tough love, as how you'd understand it," panimula niya. Lumungkot ang mata niya habang nakatingin sa labas, kasabay nito ang unti-unting paghupa ang pait sa kanyang mukha.

Bumalik na ako sa upuan ko. Ready nang makinig. Sama ko rin na 'to sa inuman. Actually, no, lahat na kami. I'd name our gang, Gurang Gang. And the president would be yours truly moi, of course.

"Sure, I know tough love. But hey, I'd seen you once before your daughter came to visit. And I must say that you were one motherflower ball of sunshine that day!"

"It's because I was fortunate to see my kid, Snooki. It was glad to know that she's still alive."

"What?" Napangiwi ako sa ka-dramahan ni Jerry. "It's not like she'd been to war or something? Psh!"

Hindi sumagot si Jerry, ngunit hindi niya rin ako nilubayan ng tingin hanggang sa matauhan ako.

"You mean, she really was from a war?!" Nanlaki ang mata ko. "No way! You're kidding? Tell me you're kidding!"

"I wish I was." He sighed. Tumungo siya at hinilot ang sentido. "My kids, daughters, were scattered all around the globe, fighting different kinds of war. Maryline is based in Africa, championing for African children against malnutrition and starvation. Gertrude, championing for the environment, is out there everywhere trying to win our fight against climate change and preserve biodiversity. Rielle, my brave soul who is in combat with human trafficking, especially women, is currently in Mexico."

Habang nagkukwento si Jerry ay hindi na maayos ang paghinga ko. Those women were close to perfection! Right now, I'd invalidate all opinions shot at me saying that it's not, because it's more to me than all it ever was.

"They esteem themselves as fighters for anything they deem just and morally upright. Once their heart is armored for a battle that truly matters, the only way to get them to retire from the war is to end it."

Hinigit kong muli sa tapat ko ang lunch container ko at pinaglaruan ang gilid nito habang nakikinig. I was truly awestruck, hearing stories about women like these were empowering. I wish I was that brave.

"You know, while I understood all of 'em, I couldn't help but ponder about when will they finally champion as my daughters and go finally the hell back home. All I ever wanted for them was to be here on the same day, so that I'd have one more certain day with all of them complete before my funeral."

I shot him a look at his choice of words. Bigla siyang naging defensive. Tinaas niya ang dalawa niyang kilay at sinabing, "What? It's true. I'm sure they'd be complete during my interment."

"I know, I know! It's just that you're really living up to that somber soul of yours and I. Can't. Even!"

And just like that, Jerry was a restless grump once again. Sa mabilis na paikot na galaw ay pinunasan niya ang ibabaw ng lamesa.

"Well, shit. I'm tired of rambling. Go back to your flower shop now and be a useful kid, will 'ya?" he spat in his usual tone of distaste that I so adored.

"Fine!" I rolled my eyes. I stacked the lunch containers as I prepared to leave. Nagpatuloy naman si Jerry sa paglilinis ng lamesa.

I pursed my lips as I braved to say these next words to Uncle Jerry, "Hey,Jer. I don't know if this would mean a little to you, but to me, you already won.Your daughters, they also champion you."

Ibinagsak ko ang tingin sa mga kamay ko at pinisil-pisil ang bawat daliri. Nahihiya pa rin naman ako minsan. At sa minsan na iyon ay kasama ang oras na ito.

I continued, "The moment the hearts of your powerful women desired to volunteer, was the moment that the world earned a spec of hope for those who are hopeless. And while they're still out there, you are still winning, a hundred couple of times, and more."

And for the first time in history, Jerry matched my gaze without creases on his forehead, not even the usual downward curve the sides of his lips sported quite usually.

He nodded at me. Ayan, bati na yata kami, 'di ko sure. Take note ko na lang ang araw na ito sa kalendaryo ng Daily Bloom.

Hanggang sa pag-uwi ko ay nakatatak pa rin sa isip ko iyong ibinahagi ni Uncle Jerry. Biglang nagbalik sa isip ko na nabanggit niyang naaalala niya sa akin ang mga anak niya. Well, Maryline was pretty, I saw her. So, I'd definitely agree with Jerry on that idea. But all else? Meh.

While I was nowhere near Maryline, Gertrude, nor Rielle, I believe that I could transform my working awareness into micro-actions that would make things less difficult for advocates like them. I'd have my own tiny footsteps contribute to our race toward success because, as much as I hated to admit it, we're already running out of time.

I knew we needed more footsteps. If all of us would exert effort to instill the similar mindset that our advocates had, then we would be able to take at least small leaps today. Each step that we took would leave tracks as a hopeful guide that would lead the way for others to follow. Then, little by little, we'd finally reach the tomorrow when we're geared for the highest jump that we aimed for.

Hindi naman kailangang genius ang isang tao para maisip iyan. Kailangan lang ay may bukas at makataong puso. Simpleng mamamayan lang ako at hindi henyo, pero alam ko ang mga bagay na dapat ipaglaban kahit walang titulo.

Pero buti na lang din ay chameleonogist ako. At least, may title pa rin. Kekeke!