― nineteen: liar, liar

Start from the beginning

          Cameron passes her cellphone to Parker, and she takes it without a second thought. Plastered on the large touch-screen is the exact same sentiment Cameron just said. Very direct, not like the way they text her. They're clear cut, perfect grammar, unsolicited and somewhat uncaring. 

          [ UNKNOWN ]: Parker may not terminate her relationship with Nicolas Pérez. For the next two weeks, she must stay by his side. As her mentor, you must make sure she follows these rules. If not, there could be consequences.

          "What do they mean by consequences?" Parker questions.

          Cameron snatches her phone, and throws it back into her purse. "Punishment, but worse. Like my wrist, but worse," There's a shine of concern in the blonde's eyes as she shifts her weight from one leg to the other. Parker doesn't care for the girl's worry. They're not friends. The blonde has made that clear. "Listen to me, Parker. Stay with Nico, no matter how you feel. Whether you hate him or dislike him, or whatever, just stay with him. It won't be hard, I promise." 

          Parker shakes her head. "It's not like it matters anymore."

          The two keep silent as they head off down the corridor, towards the front doors, where they find themselves in the front quad. Parker searches for Leo but she realizes his Jeep isn't in its regular spot: he left already. That feels strange to her. He's usually here, waiting to say goodbye to her, before driving off with that sloppy smile on his face. 

          Victoria stands with a few of her friends, from her study group after school. They catch each other's gazes. But, instead of smiling―like she usually does―Victoria glares at her coldly, then turns her gaze back toward her friends. It knocks the wind right of Parker. Her best friend hates her. So, does that mean she's not her best friend anymore? Does that mean Victoria and her don't have a relationship anymore?

         Not far from Victoria, on the other side leaning against planter boxes, is Nico and his friends. Milk avoids her gaze, but Liam blatantly glares at her. "What's his problem?" Cameron asks, shrugging her head over in Liam's direction. Parker doesn't answer. She's sure that Cameron wouldn't like it if she told her that Liam's threaten her, and practically hates her. It would only lead to more drama, and that she doesn't need.

          "I change my mind," Nico announces, as he slinks his way up to her. "Let's go on a date today," His hand outstretches for her to grab. Parker wonders if she can just avoid it, but she knows she shouldn't. And when Cameron nudges her, it propels her to place her hand in his and allow him to drag her off down the parking lot. "You like hiking?" He asks, halfway to his Impala, and glancing over his shoulder at her.

          No. 

          "Sure, what's not to like?"

          "Cool, the Japanese Botanical Garden, over near the hills―it's a good long hike." The leather seats are freezing cold in the inside of Nico's car. It doesn't seem to bug him as he starts up the engine, and ignores putting on the heater to instead speed out of the parking lot like the car is on fire. And she thought Victoria was a bad driver, Nico's ten times worse.

          Thing's stay quiet between the two teenagers as they head down main street towards the mountain's. Parker keeps her gaze averted from him to focus on the views out the window. On the green grass covered in dew, on the stormy clouds above, on the forest of trees in the distance...on anything. But her mind stays on something else. She wonders if she should say something. Maybe ask about his sister? Though, she's sure he wouldn't like it if she did. But she can't help but think about how hurt he must still be after everything that happened. It doesn't excuse his actions toward Leo, or all the girl's he's managed to hurt in the process; but, she feels for him.