Saving the World

Sonic cradled Shadow's lifeless body, more tears threatening to run down his face. He hiccuped and sniffled as he tried not to cry any more. "Shadow..."
Solaris left to begin his rampage. Sonia looked at her heartbroken brother.
"Sonic... I thought Iblis was sealed within me, not you," she said.
"I transferred Iblis from you to me last night while you were asleep," Sonic explained through sobs. Another tear escaped his eye. The large tear slowly rolled down his cheek and landed on Shadow's. The tear let off a golden glow as it hit his tan muzzle and quickly absorbed into his skin.
Suddenly, a golden glow started coming out of Shadow's chest. The triplets stared in astonishment as the glow healed his wound.
Shadow let out a soft moan of pain as he came back to life. Sonic gasped softly and whispered, "Shadow?"
Shadow groaned and started to squint open his ruby eyes. They were a bit dull due to him just coming back to life. "Sonic?" he asked weakly.
"Shadow!" Sonic yelled happily, hugging the ebony hedgehog tightly.
Shadow groaned as he clutched his chest in pain. "Take it easy, Faker!" he protested weakly, gently pushing Sonic off.
"Sorry. Does it still hurt?" Sonic asked in concern.
Shadow winced as he rubbed his aching chest. "I'll be okay," he reassured, his voice already getting louder and stronger.
Sonic smiled. "Think you can fight?" Solaris roared, emphasizing Sonic's point.
Shadow got to his feet. "I think so."
"Good. Let's do this!" Sonic exclaimed, his eyes shining with excitement and anticipation for the battle with Solaris.
Summoning all of the Chaos Emeralds, Sonic and Shadow focused on their power and transformed into Super Sonic and Super Shadow, much to Sonia and Manic's shock. Sonic's quills turned upwards, his fur turned golden yellow, his eyes turned ruby red, and he developed a fire-like, glowing, golden aura. Shadow's ebony fur turned lemon yellow and he also developed a fire-like, glowing, golden aura.
Super Sonic and Super Shadow flew up to battle Solaris. After nearly 20 minutes of fighting, the two golden hedgehogs finally defeated the inter-dimensional creature for good. They landed in front of Sonia and Manic and powered down to their normal forms, panting from exhaustion.
"What was that?!" Manic exclaimed.
"What was what?" Sonic asked between pants.
"The golden fur and the flying and stuff!" Sonia exclaimed.
"That was Super Sonic and Super Shadow," Sonic explained. "Well, I guess we should all head home. I think we can all agree that we've had enough excitement for one day."
"Yeah. Bye, Sonic," Sonia and Manic said, heading back to Mobotropolis on their own.
Just as Sonic turned to head home, Shadow stopped him. "Uh, Sonic?" he asked.
Sonic turned to look at his friend. "What's up?"
Shadow awkwardly kicked the ground. "Do you mind if I stay with you for a while?"
"Not at all. Why?" Sonic asked curiously.
"Well... My apartment kinda caught on fire last night..." Shadow said. "So I don't have anywhere to stay..."
"Hey, remember my promise?" Sonic said. Shadow did, indeed, remember that promise.

(Flashback to shortly after Sonic and Shadow escorted Sonia and Manic back to Mobotropolis)
"Shadow..." Sonic started. "Even if you believe that the entire world will turn against you, I promise, no matter what, I'll stay by your side. I'll never turn against you."
Shadow's pupils dilated again and his eyes got shiny. "Thank you..." he whispered.
Sonic smiled warmly, his own eyes getting big and shiny. "You're like a brother to me, Shadow. I love you just as much as I do Tails and my real siblings," he whispered. The two hedgehogs hugged.
"Same here," Shadow whispered back. Sonic extended his pinky, making his promise a pinky swear. Shadow interlocked his pinky with Sonic's, sealing the pinky swear.

(Back to reality)
"I haven't forgotten," Shadow confirmed.
Sonic smiled. "Good. Come on, I'll race you!" The cobalt hedgehog then took off.
"Get back here!" Shadow yelled after him with a playful smirk. The ebony hedgehog took off after his rival/best friend/adoptive little brother.

Here's a short teaser/preview of the sequel to this story, The Ultimate Lifeforms:
"Why do you suddenly care about him so much?" Eggman asked, smirking. "Something happen in Mobotropolis?" "That's none of your business!" Shadow spat.
"What is that?! What are you doing?! Shadow! Stop!" he all but shouted, now fighting desperately with a newfound fervor.
"Preparations for internal inspection of the second Ultimate Lifeform beginning at precisely 12:42 A.M."