Reunions and Regrouping

"What's Eggman up to?" Sonic muttered to himself as he ran through the streets of Mobotropolis. "I need to gather some information."
Meanwhile, in another part of the city, a mouse and a lion were checking on everyone and gathering testimonies from witnesses.
"...and then a blue hedgehog carried them away," a cat informed them.
"Blue hedgehog?" the lion asked in surprise and shock.
The cat nodded. "Yeah. He moved so fast. He was gone in only a few seconds."
The lion turned to the mouse and exchanged a look.
"That sounds like Sonic," the mouse said.
"But he supposedly died in that incident years ago," the lion replied. Before either of them could say anything else, the cat interrupted.
"There he is! Right there!" she shouted. The lion and mouse looked to where the cat was pointing. Sure enough, there was the speedy, blue hedgehog.
"Thank you!" the lion said to the cat as he and the mouse ran after the speedster.
Despite the changes to his appearance, the two recognized their old friend. They were pretty sure it was him, but they had to make sure.
"Sonic!" they both yelled.
Sonic screeched to a halt and turned to see who called him. A big smile crossed his face as he recognized his old friends.
"Cyrus! Trevor!" he exclaimed as he ran to meet them.
"I can't believe it! You're alive!" Trevor, the mouse, said as he and Cyrus, the lion, high-fived Sonic.
"It's good to see you're all right," Cyrus added.
Sonic snickered. "Sonia and Manic said the same thing. It's good to see you guys too."
"Where are they?" Cyrus asked. Sonic's ears folded down and he lowered his gaze.
"Eggman took them," he said sadly.
"Oh."
He raised his gaze to look at them. "I could use some help rescuing them."
"Of course we'll help, Sonic!" Trevor said.
Sonic smiled. "Thank you." The sun was already starting to rise above the horizon. "Let's get going and gather some information. The sooner we start, the sooner we can save my siblings." He took off at high speed.
"Sonic, wait up!" Cyrus yelled after him as he and Trevor tried to keep up.

The sun was fully risen above the horizon. Tails walked around Mobotropolis with his ears down as some people were pointing at him and murmuring. Due to his sensitive hearing, he overheard some of other people's conversations. Most of them were about him; calling him words and names like freak, abomination, and unnatural. Some of them, however, weren't about him; they were about a 'speedy, blue hedgehog' that tried to rescue their Prince and Princess, but Dr. Eggman had gotten away with them anyway.
'It sounds like they're talking about Sonic. Maybe he's still nearby,' Tails thought as he picked up the pace to find his best friend/adoptive big brother.

Sonic was running around the city with Trevor and Cyrus in tow. So far, they hadn't gotten much progress. Suddenly, they heard a young, male voice call Sonic's name.
"Sonic!"
Sonic spotted a certain two-tailed fox running towards them. "Tails! Long time no see!" Sonic ran to his best friend/adoptive little brother. Tails brightened slightly when Sonic showed no sign of anger or sadness.
'I'll apologize to him later,' he thought. Sonic pulled Tails into a guy hug.
Cyrus and Trevor stood nearby, a bit weirded out by Sonic's behavior. Sonic wasn't really a hugger. He seemed to be really close to the kit. What was weird about the fox was that he seemed to have two tails.
"Is he a friend of yours, Sonic?" Cyrus asked somewhat hesitantly. Sonic and Tails broke their hug. Sonic kept his arm around Tails' shoulders.
"Yeah. This is my buddy, Tails. Tails, these are my old friends, Cyrus and Trevor," Sonic introduced.
"Hi," Tails said shyly, slightly hiding behind Sonic. Sonic gently nudged Tails, trying to reassure him and encourage him to not be so shy.
"Nice to meet you, Tails," Trevor replied. Tails shyly shook hands with Trevor and Cyrus.
Tails turned back to Sonic. "I'm glad you're here." Sonic gave an acknowledging nod then started to look around, getting a bit restless. Tails knew Sonic was still listening, even though he was getting restless and not looking at him. "I heard you tried to save their Prince and Princess from Dr. Eggman." Sonic turned away slightly and folded his arms across his chest, staring off into space. "You're going to rescue them, aren't you? Let me help." Sonic quickly turned his head to look at him. Cyrus and Trevor stared at the fox, shocked and confused. "I may not know what Eggman's up to, but it can't be a good thing."
Sonic didn't really need to think it over. He already knew his answer. "Okay," he said, giving a thumbs up. "With your help, this should be a piece of cake."
Tails giggled. "I'll do my best." Sonic turned to Cyrus and Trevor.
"You guys stay in the city and keep trying to find some information. Tails and I will go after Eggman," he told them.
"Okay, Sonic," they said. Sonic and Tails turned around and took off. Tails had to use his twin tails to fly to keep up with Sonic, much to Cyrus' and Trevor's shock. "HE CAN FLY?!"
Sonic and Tails burst out laughing.
"I guess we forgot to tell them about that," Sonic managed through his giggles. Tails giggled. "Yeah, I guess so." With that, the two best friends/adoptive brothers continued on their way to Port Mobius, both still snickering.

"We've gotta hurry and save Manic and Sonia!" Sonic said as he and Tails ran/flew to Port Mobius.
"Hey, Sonic?" Tails asked as they sped towards the docks.
"Yeah?"
"I wanted to apologize about yesterday. It was my fault you got upset and ran away, wasn't it?" Tails asked, guilt and pain in his voice. Sonic saw tears forming in the fox's eyes. He shook his head.
"Not at all, buddy," he reassured. "Just some old memories that got too much for me to handle. I needed some time alone to pull myself together."
"Really? I was worried that I ruined our relationship."
Sonic smiled. "That's a lot of worry over little ol' me. Don't worry, Tails. You'll always be my little brother. No matter what."
Tails tackled Sonic with a hug, nearly knocking him off his feet. "Thanks, Sonic!"
Sonic ruffled Tails' bangs. "You're welcome, buddy." They continued on their way, 'wall jumping' off of rock pillars, running across the water/flying over it, and grinding on rails as they sped to catch up with Eggman.
An orca started to jump out of the water as they ran across it/flew over it.
"Whoa! That's a big one!" Sonic exclaimed. It started to chase them, smashing the docks. Eventually, Sonic ran out of dock to run on.
"Jump!" he yelled as he had to jump off of a piece of wood from the dock. He landed on the orca, hanging onto it by its dorsal fin.
"Tails! Go ahead and push the gate switch so he doesn't get out!" Sonic shouted as he hung onto the aquatic mammal's fin.
"Okay, Sonic! I'll be right back!" Tails shouted back as he flew ahead. He flew over the water and tried to avoid Egg Gunners as much as possible, but he threw ring crates at them when he had to.
"Tails, hurry up!" Sonic yelled as the whale started to get close to the gate. Tails sped up and, after dealing with a few more robots, got to the switch and activated it. After picking up Sonic, they continued to pursue Eggman.

"Darn! We're not gonna make it! Let's speed up!" Sonic said as the Egg Carrier came into view. The two increased their speed, trying to catch up.
"Wha?!" Sonic exclaimed as Egg Gunners flew out of nowhere and got ahead of them. However, they weren't maneuverable enough to avoid smashing into each other and pillars of rock.
They quickly came to an inlet and Eggman was too far away to continue chasing. Suddenly, something fell from the sky and hit Tails on the head.
"Ow!"
As Tails rubbed where he got hit, Sonic picked the object up from the sand. It was Manic's magic, drum set-shaped medallion.
"It looks like the Prince and Princess were moved to another location," Tails said as he stopped rubbing his head. He already had a bruise forming where the medallion had landed on it. "Let's head back to the city." Tails ran off, back towards Mobotropolis.
Sonic stared at his biological brother's medallion for a moment longer before stuffing it into his shoe, where he kept his own, guitar-shaped medallion, then took off after his adoptive brother.