Chapter 25/Staring could be troublesome

Start from the beginning

"Oh, okay."

I felt an invisible hand grip my heart and shake it vigorously. There was sadness—more like disappointment dripping from that 'oh, okay'. I clenched my jaw, my teeth glued together as we reached the lane to the house where the get together was. Rich, expensive cars, mostly SUV's lined the street that lead to the house on each side, making it difficult for me to find a spot.

Guess I'll just leave it to the valet then.

I skidded the car to a halt just in front of the house that looked something out of a movie—twinkling light, bulbs, green lights, almost every type of glowing accessory decorated the front yard. The entrance that led to the front door was lined with lanterns that gave off a soft yellow glow on one side, whilst flowers and petals dotted the other side.

I snorted a laugh.

Petals?

You've got to be kidding me.

The valet, dressed in a black suit, almost the same height as me came up to my side and opened the door for me, nodding a greeting as I jumped out and straightened my clothing, eyeing the front door of the mansion with a mischief in my mood.

This was going to be fun.

"Good evening, ma'am," the valet smiled with his eyes cast down as Haya approached me, her heels crunching under the gravel.

"Good evening," she mumbled back, shifting her weight from one foot to the other.

"Here," I tossed the car keys at the valet. He caught them quite professionally, as if he did this on a regular. Catching keys, I meant.

As the valet disappeared with a curt nod, I turned sideways and observed Haya. There was a cute wrinkle marring her forehead. I noticed she was eyeing the rose petals with curiosity. She sucked at trying to mask her emotions, what she was thinking, feeling, and while I was very, very grateful that she was like an open book to me, I didn't like that others could read her face just as easily.

I slipped my hands inside my pant pockets, a smile playing on the corners of my mouth.

"Strange, don't you think?" I mused, more at her reaction than the weird decoration.

Staring at the petals for another long heartbeat, she slowing slid her gaze to me.

"Aren't petals sprinkled on, like, honeymoon suite beds, and when there's like a wedding?" she asked me, her arms crossed across her chest.

"Yeah," I agreed with her. "Maybe it's a wedding, then. Or someone's honeymoon." Sarcasm was dripping from my voice.

Her jaw dropped to the ground. "Aarib, please tell me you're joking!" she whisper-hissed. "We can't be crashing a wedding! That's not right." She shook her head as she nervously chewed on her bottom lip while her eyes took in her surroundings and the expensive exterior of the mansion.

It was kind of very amusing she didn't mention the honeymoon part.

"Babe," I called out, wanting to tease her a little more. "Just humor me, okay?"

She jutted her bottom lip out, pouting like a baby. "Humor? What's that?" she feigned innocence.

This girl was just something else, I wondered, laughing quietly to myself.

"Shall we?" I made a dramatic display of waving my hand in front of me, my heart doing a victory dance when a grin broke out on her face, and she gave a little shake of her head, clearly at my very immature behavior.

"I know, I know," I fake sighed heavily as the two of us strolled through the entrance towards the big, mahogany doors that seemed far from welcoming. "I'm a heartthrob."