𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗 - Baby Held Captive

"Where is she indeed?" 

"It certainly is strange to find a child missing, and one so small, so helpless. When did you see her last?" Count Olaf smirked. Veronica felt her glare harden as her fist tightened. "What have you done with Sunny?" She spat. "Here, Sunny, Sunny. Where are ya, girl?" Olaf called as if Sunny was a dog. "Did you hear that? It came from outside!" Veronica didn't care if he was joking or not, she immediately ran out of them room and outside, followed by Violet and Klaus.

She ran out to the garden, searching for her friend. "Sunny! Sunny! Buttercup!" She exclaimed. Violet and Klaus joined her as Violet said "She's not here." Olaf approached them with a devious smile. "Oh, don't look so down. I'd say things are looking, up, up, up..." Olaf trailed, looking at something from above. Veronica followed his eyes to see the horror. It was Sunny, tied up in ropes and with duct tape on her mouth, in a dangling cage. "Sunny!" She yelled. "Let her go, she's done nothing to you." Violet exclaimed. "She's an infant!" Klaus added. "Well, if you really want me to let her go, I will. But even a stupid brat like you might realise that if I let her go, or more accurately if I have my comrade let her go..." Veronica looked to see the hook-handed man, by the window, as he gave a little wave.

"Sunny might not survive the fall to the ground. That's a 30-foot tower, which is a very long way for a very small person to fall, even when she's inside a cage. But if you three insist..." Olaf said, but before he called to drop the small infant, he got stopped. "NO! Don't hurt Sunny, we'll do anything, Father! Just don't harm her!" Veronica exclaimed. "Anything? Anything?" Olaf mimicked. "Would you, for instance, consider marrying me during tomorrow night's performance?" The villain then asked Violet. Veronica glared at the man in front of her. "She would never ever marry you, Father." She spat. 

"Veronica, go up to your room. I think you've done enough already today..." Olaf said. "But I-"

"Now!" 

Veronica breathed through her nose and, calmly, made her way up to her and the Baudelaire's room but stopped when reaching the stairs to the tower room. She looked around to see if any of the henchman were watching her, and to her surprise, none of them were. Veronica knew the hook-handed man was still up there, so she had to be careful. The brunette slowly made her way up the stairs, stopping herself when a creak was heard and then continued.

Veronica reached the door and pushed it open slightly to look in and see no one except Sunny, who was dangling in the cage still. She smiled and made her way to the window, reaching a hand out to Sunny. "Don't worry, Buttercup, I'll find a way to get to you out. I don't want Father harming you..." Veronica said with a sad smile. Sunny smiled back, though her mouth was covered in tape so it couldn't be seen but Veronica could feel it. She looked down to find something to pick the lock with, but Sunny stopped her by gurgling/yelling "Veronica, behind you!"

The brunette felt someone grab her by the wrist roughly before she could even see who it was. "The boss told you to go to your room but you disobeyed him. He won't be happy about that and the fact you tried to save the pipsqueak..." Veronica saw the hook-handed man behind her. "Let me go!" She yelled, almost in tears from the tight pain on her arm. The hook-handed man threw Veronica onto a chair and did not listen to any cry that came from her mouth. "Stay here, don't even try to free the biting brat." The hook-handed man spat and then left with a door slam. "What are we going to do, Sunny?" Veronica whimpered.